All-Weather Mats

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Picked up my XC40 in Gothenburg last week and very disappointed with the all-weather mats.

The rear mats are fine as they have high sides and cover the complete floor, including the hump. The passenger mat is equally good with higher sides and it extends up the firewall.

The issue is the mat on the drivers side which DOES NOT cover the foot rest on the left and DOES NOT extend under the pedals. The whole design concept defeats the definition of "all-weather".

My car is a left hand drive but I suspect the problem will be the same regardless of whether your car is LH or RH drive. I would be interested to hear opinions form anyone else who may have ordered all-weather interior mats.

In addition, my dealer ordered the all-weather plastic mat for the rear cargo area which is complete poo. Unlike the interior mats which are rubber, the cargo mat is made from cheap plastic and is not worth anything near what it costs from Volvo. I am hoping to get this swapped out for something more representing a Volvo quality solution but only remain optimistic at this point.

Thoughts and opinions of others' experiences welcomed.
XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys

MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I think your being a bit hyper critical if I'm honest, the heel area is sufficiently covered, I can't see it being a problem unless your putting your feet behind the pedals? And I don't recommend that. Perhaps my view will change with time, but so far there is no sign of it becoming an issue.

Equally with the boot liner, its purpose is to protect the carpeted boot floor from dirt, and in a car such as this surely it can't be needed for much more than occasional use? if you require anything more robust than that maybe you should have purchased a pick up truck or similar? I would also disagree about it being made from cheap plastic, granted it's not the same quality as the rubber floor mats, but it is still a rubberised protective mat, I'm not sure what more is required...
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Adamantus

Post by Adamantus »

Most likely the mats no longer extend below the pedals due to litigation avoidance. In the past the accelerator pedal has got stuck under some mats, causing accidents.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Mike911SC wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 pm
The issue is the mat on the drivers side which DOES NOT cover the foot rest on the left and DOES NOT extend under the pedals. The whole design concept defeats the definition of "all-weather".

My car is a left hand drive but I suspect the problem will be the same regardless of whether your car is LH or RH drive. I would be interested to hear opinions form anyone else who may have ordered all-weather interior mats.

In addition, my dealer ordered the all-weather plastic mat for the rear cargo area ......

Thoughts and opinions of others' experiences welcomed.

Just got my "protection pack" today. I am wondering Mike if you simply swap the two front mats around whether your first problem might be solved?

I started off with the bigger mat on the passenger side, but realised it should probably be on the driver's side. It does then fit right under the pedals. It does not cover the foot rest, but then I wouldn't want it to.

Re. the cargo area mat I opted for the textile reversible mat with the bumper cover. It looks very good quality to me, and while it cannot cope with the partitioned position of the floor cover and the bag hooks, again I don't want it to. It's an either or situation I think,
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm - sorry another photo call request. Could you put up any photos of the mats/footwell with your new reconfiguration? Many thanks in advance.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Will do - probably tomorrow. You may then spot that I have put them in the wrong way round, but I think it works! Haven't driven with them yet though.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:35 pm Will do - probably tomorrow. You may then spot that I have put them in the wrong way round, but I think it works! Haven't driven with them yet though.

Just a thought - MrP, as the first recipient (I think) of mats - which way round have you installed your front mats?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:51 pm
Just a thought - MrP, as the first recipient (I think) of mats - which way round have you installed your front mats?

Forget that thought - just gone back to your original photos in the Mud Flaps thread MrP and I see you have the smaller front mat on the driver's side. That's probably correct, and I will next need to check if my alternative is going to be practical or not!
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

I have the rubber mats; the small mat goes on the drivers side. I think they work well. I don't think any mats I've had over many years have covered the footrest.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

early adopter wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm I have the rubber mats; the small mat goes on the drivers side. I think they work well. I don't think any mats I've had over many years have covered the footrest.

Yes I have checked them again and the heel pad on the smaller mat gives it away. Will take pics tomorrow Boomer - both ways to illustrate.