Spare wheel

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
SandSSW009

Post by SandSSW009 »

Sorry if others have asked this - I did do a search on ‘spare wheel’ and got quite a lot of hits as some put it in the description of their vehicle which may answer my question but ...anyhow will still ask.

New xc40 on order, delivery mid March. Just had a call with my son who got a flat in his car, ‘obviously’ the foam can in the boot did not work ... but the recovery service did work fine, in mid Cumbria.

How many of you Volvo drivers opt for the extra £150(?) or hope to rely on a recovery service? I am now considering ringing the dealer asking for a spare to be added?

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
For me it was a no brainer to order the spare wheel, wouldn’t want to rely on a can of gunk in the boot to get me out of trouble and I understand that once the compound is injected into the tyre you cannot repair it , but I may be wrong on that.
The real problem here is that the spare tyre should not be an optional extra, penny pinching manufacturers!!
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

I once used a can of that foam with a previous car and it was such a fuss that I thought never again. You usually end up having to have a new tyre anyway.

In my Volvo, 3 months ago I found a screw in the tyre, wasn’t losing pressure but needed to get it sorted. Went around 3 tyre centres which, in the current situation, said leave it with us or make an appointment for 3 days time! I ordered a spare wheel kit that very day.

It’s peace of mind for me.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The spare was a no brainer for me as well. Sod's law dictates you will get a puncture at the worst possible time, and you could always carry a foam repair kit as well in case that would be a better option at the time. Just bear in mind you will have to find the space for the full size wheel you take off. I had this problem many years ago in a Boxster, but it's less of an issue in an XC40!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

If it is to late to add to your order then you can get one off ebay. Although I did not get my car new I made sure I found a used one with a spare wheel. Peace of mind ....... priceless.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
SandSSW009

Post by SandSSW009 »

Yeah ... I think I may ring the dealership tomorrow.

I do wonder if the foam stuff has ever worked? I had to use it twice and it has not worked. My son tried to do and it failed. It ‘must’ work sometimes?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've got a spare wheel in my XC40. Only a space saver but better than nowt.
Last edited by blastpipe on Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

I would never have a car without a spare wheel. Even a space saver can keep you mobile.
XC40 RDesign D4.Thunder Grey Climate Pack Park Assist.Tempra Spare Wheel.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I'm obviously the odd one out. Had a space saver in my previous car and found it a waste of time. Had to call out help to change it and then restricted to slow speed on a long journey. Didn't bother with one on XC40 and I did have massive puncture. But Volvo assist got me a truck which took me straight to a local tyre service which did it immediately. In fact it was far quicker and easier than the palaver I had with space saver and driving around slowly to find a tyre on my previous Audi. Also I find the extra space under the boot floor invaluable. Maybe I was lucky this time but all worked like clockwork. And no I wouldn't dram of using the can!
Moss

Post by Moss »

No spare wheel, no spacesaver, no foam repair kit in my wife’s XC40 : she wouldn’t use any of those anyway. But she has VOC, as most of you have. So no problem whatsoever : use VOC and you will be helped.