Dash cam recommendations

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Picking up my new xc40 early March, thinking about fitting a dash cam, after looking around there must be hundreds of different models to choose from.

Have any members got any recommendations for cameras that they have fitted. Thinking I should be looking for 1080p, gps and WiFi, only interested in one front facing camera.

Have read somewhere on the forum about potential interference with all the electronics in the casing behind the rear view mirror has anyone experienced this? My car is a base spec T3 R design so I believe that It will not have the systems that are fitted to higher spec vehicles that may be susceptible, if indeed they are.

Thanx
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I believe you will have sensitive electronics by the rear view mirror so you need to tread carefully.

There are numerous threads on the subject already. I'm sure you'll find them an interesting read.

Got my camera from Aldi - very happy with it.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I recommend Viofo dashcam. Been using them for the last 5 yrs. The one in my XC40 has worked perfectly since I fitted it on day one of ownership (Oct 2018) with no issues whatsoever with the cars sensors. It’s fitted right at the top of the screen, about 35mm to the left of the sensor binnacle. From the drivers seat it’s almost completely obscured by the rear view mirror so it’s not intrusive at all.
Picture quality and reliability great...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

Rifleman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:00 pm I recommend Viofo dashcam. Been using them for the last 5 yrs. The one in my XC40 has worked perfectly since I fitted it on day one of ownership (Oct 2018) with no issues whatsoever with the cars sensors. It’s fitted right at the top of the screen, about 35mm to the left of the sensor binnacle. From the drivers seat it’s almost completely obscured by the rear view mirror so it’s not intrusive at all.
Picture quality and reliability great...
I also have Viofo (A119) in similar position, except to the right of the sensors since my car is left hand drive. No interference with sensors, can't see it from drivers POV, of course it is in passenger's field of view but if you turn off the camera screen it's not distracting for them. I asked my dealer to run a cable for it and they ran in under the roof lining to... somewhere. Don't know where the USB ends but it is very well hidden and does not take any of the USB slots near the center console.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Here is my post from last December. The camera is a Nextbase 512GW and it continues to work well. I still see no need to mount it in the traditional position at the top of the screen. The view ahead is excellent - probably helped by the height of the car.

“I moved my dashcam from near the safety cluster because there were warnings about potential interference. It is now located at the bottom left corner of the windscreen {RHD car} where the tax disk was once located and it appears to work well. I ran the lead down the left side of the dashboard assembly, fixed with black electrical tape, and under the glove compartment, so it is invisible for most of its length. I don’t have a rear camera.”
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Den48 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm Have read somewhere on the forum about potential interference with all the electronics in the casing behind the rear view mirror has anyone experienced this? My car is a base spec T3 R design so I believe that It will not have the systems that are fitted to higher spec vehicles that may be susceptible, if indeed they are.
Every XC40, including base specs, is equipped with emergency braking and line assist. The sensors are located around the rear view mirror and Volvo is clearly stating not to obstruct that area (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2118#p18574 )

It’s a subjective discussion if a dashcam does or does not create interference since this is something you would experience only in an emergency situations, so I preferred to heed Volvo’s warning and installed my Garmin Mini dashcam in the top corner of the windscreen on the driver side (top corner on passenger side is not cleaned by wipers resulting in grainy footage in rain). Routing your cables is another topic worth paying attention to: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2436
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Thank you all for your replies, certainly some food for thought.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi, Picking up this thread.
Have had a Blackvue dashcam, front and rear installed in every car i've owned. Installation has always been pretty straight forward. The hardest part seems to be finding the fuse that is ignition only and then permanently live. I would like to install the main powers in a rear fuse box and then have the Blackvue Power Magic there as well, for recording when not in motion (too many bumps have come whilst the car has been parked)
Can anyone suggest the appropriate fuses in the rear?
T5 Recharge 2021 model.

thanks
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

SteveW I have posted this up on here before :
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Volvo fitted a Nextbase 522GW in my XC 40 Hybrid yesterday. They used the electric seat fuse in the fuse box under passenger seat.