Dash cam recommendations

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Wedgie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:33 pm SteveW I have posted this up on here before :
Thanks. Seem to have it all sorted.

qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Looking for a dash cam for my Recharge Twin, which will hopefully be delivered in a month or so (not holding my breath...). Three questions:

1) Which one? Looking at Nextbase 622 or 522, or BlackVue DR900X or DR750X. As far as I can tell the main difference is 4K vs. HD. Does 4K make a difference? The Nextbase is cheaper but the BlackVue looks more discreet. Any thoughts? Am I missing other good options?

2) Should I install a separate rear view cam?

3) Dealer or Halfords install? Dealer will be, I am sure, much more expensive, but maybe they will have more familiarity with the car. Don't want to mess around with a £57K car.
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

qrt31 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:38 am Looking for a dash cam for my Recharge Twin, which will hopefully be delivered in a month or so (not holding my breath...). Three questions:

1) Which one? Looking at Nextbase 622 or 522, or BlackVue DR900X or DR750X. As far as I can tell the main difference is 4K vs. HD. Does 4K make a difference? The Nextbase is cheaper but the BlackVue looks more discreet. Any thoughts? Am I missing other good options?

2) Should I install a separate rear view cam?

3) Dealer or Halfords install? Dealer will be, I am sure, much more expensive, but maybe they will have more familiarity with the car. Don't want to mess around with a £57K car.
I just found this on the Volvo accessories website - Roadhawk DC-3:

https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/Acce ... sory/34239

Anybody have any experience with it? t is HD, forward-facing only, £280 installed.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I got a Blackvue 750 on mine. Installed at RoadRadio and they can also send a van to deliver and install, though i realise it only covers a limited region.
I'd say go for the 2ch one! Always worth having your back covered too, and a good fitter will hide the cables real well so you won't even know it's there. Make sure to ask other fitters to route the rear cable via the boot tubes and not leave it dangling to cover space for when the boot is open! I've seen some do that which is crap and lazy.

If you go for it, research sd cards! not all work on Blackvue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Given Volvo’s warning for windshield dashcam positioning, maybe a dealer install would alleviate any Volvo warranty or liability issues in case of an accident generated by safety systems failure.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Poster eugine61 probably has a fair point about getting a dealer to fit a dashcam as regards the warranty although I get the feeling that they don’t really want to , but that may vary between dealers.
I used to own an Ateca and was thinking of getting a dash cam for that but after raising the concern of warranty invalidation on that forum I was accused by a poster of being paranoid (probably had his fitted by his mate down the road).
Anyway, paranoid or not i do believe it is important to get the installation done right and not to give a dealer any excuse not to fix a car if any future electrical problems occur.

As for the cameras themselves, blackvue look smart and I like the cylindrical shape but they are pricey, nextbase always have a good showing in the reviews so it’s down to the old wallet.
Ps i wouldn’t bother with 4K ,the hd resolution is good enough (according to the reviews) and it takes up less space on your Sd card.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I recently installed a Blackvue 2ch set up. hard wired with the parking battery accessory under the drivers seat. Only 'tool' needed was a credit card or loyalty card. All wiring tucked under the linings and then under the floor mat under the seat. Have had it running for about 2 months and no warnings at all from the car.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

There is a lot of paranoia about dashcam close to sensor binnacle IMHO.
If you get a problem with the sensors that you think may be attributable to the dashcam then just unplug the dashcam and check if the fault goes away. If it doesn’t then it’s most likely a sensor fault. If the dealer says it’s your camera then just remove the camera completely and tell them to try again.

As for resolution, I’ve found that the frames per second is a more important factor in capturing detail when objects are moving quickly. Go for at least 60fps for best results.

I’ve had Viofo dashcams fitted in my last 3 cars, all within 30mm of the sensor binnacle, all fitted passenger side, hidden behind the rear view mirror from the driver viewpoint, never had a problem…
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Rifleman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:44 pm There is a lot of paranoia about dashcam close to sensor binnacle IMHO.
It’s not paranoia, it’s the manufacturer’s warning found in your car’s user manual:

“The camera unit is placed inside the upper section of the windscreen together with the car's radar unit. Do not place, stick or mount anything on the inside or outside of the windscreen, in front of or around the camera and radar unit – this may interfere with camera and radar-based functions. This may result functions being reduced, being switched off completely or giving incorrect function responses.”

A3732A66-BD8C-429D-9E6F-43AB346E1FEC.jpeg

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:30 pm
Rifleman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:44 pm There is a lot of paranoia about dashcam close to sensor binnacle IMHO.
It’s not paranoia, it’s the manufacturer’s warning found in your car’s user manual:

“The camera unit is placed inside the upper section of the windscreen together with the car's radar unit. Do not place, stick or mount anything on the inside or outside of the windscreen, in front of or around the camera and radar unit – this may interfere with camera and radar-based functions. This may result functions being reduced, being switched off completely or giving incorrect function responses.”

A3732A66-BD8C-429D-9E6F-43AB346E1FEC.jpeg
I’m fully aware of what it says in the manual and I choose to ignore it. I’m saying that from my experience I get the impression that’s just the manufacturers covering their backs.
At the risk of being pedantic, my camera is not fitted inside the red zone in the illustration anyway. It’s top of the screen, 30mm from the binnacle on the passenger side and I’ve experienced no warnings or malfunctions of the safety systems in the 3yrs I’ve had the XC40.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.