Panoramic roof

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
TheStig

Post by TheStig »

The panoramic sunroof was hot to the touch on a sunny day, so I gather it would affect cabin temperature to some extent.
Really disappointed with the translucent sunshade though, seems it would tear pretty easily.
No real issues with wind noise.
More concerned about the added weight of the sunroof on a car with a short wheelbase and such a high center of gravity.

slau73

Post by slau73 »

Treestar wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm I live in sunny singapore with hot sun temps upto 35C...so the blind isnt blackout..more of 85% with some visible light coming in...will be installing premium uv solar film to at least block out heat.
... one of the questions I was going to ask which looks like may be answered here ... does the glass of the panoramic roof have UV and heat protection? I'm guessing from Treestar's post, it doesn't? Is this confirmed by Volvo/dealer?
verao1975

Post by verao1975 »

Well,it does not black-out Yr interior definitely and You will be exposed to proportionate amount of heat as well .Living in hot,sunny place like I do,it appears to be a mistake.
But on a colder/cloudy days,it is very pleasant addition to comfort and driving experience particularly for backseat passengers.
T4 AT8 AWD Inscription Ice White Blond Leather :D
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

I have also optioned the panoramic roof and awaiting my car to arrive in Greece. Normally, sunroofs are made from monolithic tinted glass. Mentioned earlier UV protection: UV radiation has to do with fading and not heat gains. It infrared radiation which we feel as heat. So, unless glass is not laminated or coated UV stills passes through at relatively small percentage.

In simple words tinted glass will absorb high amounts of heat energy and reflect in both directions. So yes, panoramic sunroofs will increase the temperature inside the car But they will reduce glare (by reducing light transmittamce).
Those on warm climates Focus on installating a Solar control film on the inner surface
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

I actually got mine with the panoramic roof and my experience of the last 8 months was positive. Yes there is some increase of the temperature compared to a solid roof but i am happy to say that the AC copes with it really fast.
I will report back after a few summer 40+ celsius days :)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

ChrisS777 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm Thanks treestar,
that sounds like an alternative but would prefer if volvo provides some other solution for countries with high temperatures like ours...
They do, it's called not choosing a panoramic roof! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Gre

Post by Gre »

Mine Is FE so it came with a glass roof and have no problem at all in sunny Greece. The shade automatically closes when temperature exceed certain levels while car is parked. I would for sure have it as an option( mostly for the back seat passages to be honest and for the light for the front seats. The only issues would be water leaks as mentioned from other posts in this forum. I have no issues from that kind.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
mobile18

Post by mobile18 »

Although the panoramic roof is very nice, the interior screen lets in too much heat and light. The thin interior panel may have been designed for Sweden but in the Northeastern US does a very poor job. My interior will hit over 110 degrees on a bright summer day when the ambient temperature is about 80
Noufi68

Post by Noufi68 »

Can anybody tell if the windows in xc40 hybrid let in at least 50% of light
Many thanks
Phil Ately

Post by Phil Ately »

Depends on the model, or options, and whether you are referring to the front or back windows.

And if the windows are open then 100% is possible 🙂.