Beware - My signal blocking pouch failed.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Felindre wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 pm Has anybody experimented with whether the keys 'go to sleep' it left undisturbed?

Misses VW T-Cross there'd been a lit if discussion with the other models about this so i put the keys on a stool next to the car and checked the car locked and unlocked. I cane back at intervals (my driveway is remote so not insecure) and found after a little over 20 minutes that the car would not unlock, no matter how many attempts i tried. Picked up the keys and i could unlock again.

Certainly the VW group have implemented this on their keys, wouldn't be surprised if Volvo have.
The keys that go to sleep are only on later key fobs. My MY20 doesn’t have motion sensor fobs.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

You can check by opening your fob and seeing if it has MS on the number...MS for motion sensing. You can also replace your existing fobs for MS ones..at your expense of course.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1928&p=17471#p17406
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Don't think it will affect me anyway: I know they all have keyless start, but am i right that you still have to use the remote for entry unless you've paid extra for keyless locking? Don't think that was listed on the inscription i've ordered.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

I don't understand why would you need RFID blocking pouch for keys? The keyless entry has range of about one meter so unless you keep the keep directly next to your car, what is the point?

The remote unlock (physical buttons on keys) use radio signal with higher range, but RFID blocking won't protect you from someone using antenna to send the correct signal to your car and unlocking it. However security advanced so much that this is highly improbable, it's much more likely someone will smash your window and steal whatever is in your car or someone towing your car to chop it for spare parts...
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Qarx wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 am I don't understand why would you need RFID blocking pouch for keys? The keyless entry has range of about one meter so unless you keep the keep directly next to your car, what is the point?

The remote unlock (physical buttons on keys) use radio signal with higher range, but RFID blocking won't protect you from someone using antenna to send the correct signal to your car and unlocking it. However security advanced so much that this is highly improbable, it's much more likely someone will smash your window and steal whatever is in your car or someone towing your car to chop it for spare parts...
Articles on vehicle crime seem to say the opposite to you. That's why Volvo, and may other car manufacturers, have engineered in solutions to stop 'relay theft'. Relay theft is common place...or certainly scrotes trying to do it. The more security there is to relay theft does mean your house is more likley to be burgled to steal the keys or the car town away.

Protecting your remote keys (if you have keyless entry and don't have motion sensing fobs) is one way to reduce the likelihood of your vehicle being stolen through relay theft.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/ ... less-theft
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/05/ke ... oing-more/
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Interesting thread. One of the reasons I didn't choose a model with keyless entry. I don't see the point as its easy to push a button.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Salmonfisher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 am Interesting thread. One of the reasons I didn't choose a model with keyless entry. I don't see the point as its easy to push a button.
Keyless entry was part of the convenience pack. I think it’s great. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world and the scum of our society have found a way through. The bottom line is this - if the scum want the vehicle, they will stop at nothing to take it. The taking comes in many, many forms. Relay attacks, breaking through your front door to get the key/fob and even car jacking. What’s to stop a crook turning up at the dealership, impersonating the real owner who’s car is in for a service and paying cash. Yes, they’ve laid out £340 in cash for a service on the car but driven away in a £30k+ car.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Salmonfisher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 am Interesting thread. One of the reasons I didn't choose a model with keyless entry. I don't see the point as its easy to push a button.
It’s convenience beyond the ease of pushing a button on the key. First, to open the door you don’t have to touch the key, you can leave it in your pocket/bag/purse. Second, you can open the tailgate with a foot movement under the rear bumper, something really helpful when both your hands are full with shopping bags...