Beware - My signal blocking pouch failed.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

So this morning I opened the car as normal, having first removing my fob from a Faraday Signal blocking pouch. During an extended boot loading, I’d realised that I had put my fob back in the pouch and fully expected to get the 3 bleeps telling me my key wasn’t in range. However, the boot closed. I then tested the pouch for blocking and it failed.
I even put my phone in and called myself.

So, people you have been warned. Pouches can and do fail.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

Just put you key in the microwave.

Don't switch it on.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

I have failed to find anything sold on the Internet to actually lock the key signal.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

mr.vladis wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm I have failed to find anything sold on the Internet to actually lock the key signal.
My pouch used to block the signal, both of the fob and phone. It seems like total failure.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

I think that most of these flexible pouches have a fairly limited lifespan. The microwave suggestion would work, but a tad heavy to carry around. 😊
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

Boxybutgood wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:38 pm I think that most of these flexible pouches have a fairly limited lifespan. The microwave suggestion would work, but a tad heavy to carry around. 😊
My microwave is quite static, it's always in the kitchen, and my car's always on the drive - when parked at home.

My tin foil hat though is quite mobile, I always carry that around 🙂
Last edited by Tech Spec on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Boxybutgood wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:38 pm I think that most of these flexible pouches have a fairly limited lifespan. The microwave suggestion would work, but a tad heavy to carry around. 😊
Well I’ve ordered 2 more of the same. I only pop the fobs in and store them at home. But as they are so cheap, I’ll take the hit on a yearly basis.
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

The Solon Security "Defender pouches are warranted for 12 months. One of mine failed and the company replaced it it without quibble.
Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

papalimafoxtrot wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 pm The Solon Security "Defender pouches are warranted for 12 months. One of mine failed and the company replaced it it without quibble.
You'll just have to keep testing the pouch before each use. Shouldn't add too much time to each journey. Well worth the time and money I'd say.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Has anybody experimented with whether the keys 'go to sleep' it left undisturbed?

Misses VW T-Cross there'd been a lit if discussion with the other models about this so i put the keys on a stool next to the car and checked the car locked and unlocked. I cane back at intervals (my driveway is remote so not insecure) and found after a little over 20 minutes that the car would not unlock, no matter how many attempts i tried. Picked up the keys and i could unlock again.

Certainly the VW group have implemented this on their keys, wouldn't be surprised if Volvo have.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21