USB transfer rate

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I've just nstalled the V1333 update from a USB stick. I failed to note the start time but it took no more than 75 minutes, which seems very slow when I can copy a 1GB file to my PC in less than a minute. Nevertheless, this time is acceptable in normal driving and I suppose the reason for this lethargy is that each data bundle has to be compared with what is already on the system in a step by step process so that only the changes are overwritten. It is not like transferring data to a vacant memory. Does that make sense? I still don't understand why the SIM method is faster than the USB one, though.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

WelshRobin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:09 pm I've just nstalled the V1333 update from a USB stick. I failed to note the start time but it took no more than 75 minutes, which seems very slow when I can copy a 1GB file to my PC in less than a minute. Nevertheless, this time is acceptable in normal driving and I suppose the reason for this lethargy is that each data bundle has to be compared with what is already on the system in a step by step process so that only the changes are overwritten. It is not like transferring data to a vacant memory. Does that make sense? I still don't understand why the SIM method is faster than the USB one, though.
This is all very odd!!

I downloaded v1333 a couple of day’s ago to a USB as already said. Plugged it into the car and it took 6 or 7 minutes to install. I didn’t have an installation % showing but just got the message to complete installation, car must be shutdown or words to that affect. I then checked for updates and there are none. I then also checked the version of the Northern Europe region. I’m glad to report that it is indeed v1333👌
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:09 pm I've just nstalled the V1333 update from a USB stick. I failed to note the start time but it took no more than 75 minutes, which seems very slow when I can copy a 1GB file to my PC in less than a minute. Nevertheless, this time is acceptable in normal driving and I suppose the reason for this lethargy is that each data bundle has to be compared with what is already on the system in a step by step process so that only the changes are overwritten. It is not like transferring data to a vacant memory. Does that make sense? I still don't understand why the SIM method is faster than the USB one, though.
This is all very odd!!

I downloaded v1333 a couple of day’s ago to a USB as already said. Plugged it into the car and it took 6 or 7 minutes to install. I didn’t have an installation % showing but just got the message to complete installation, car must be shutdown or words to that affect. I then checked for updates and there are none. I then also checked the version of the Northern Europe region. I’m glad to report that it is indeed v1333👌
Lucky you! According to VOC I have logged 94minutes of drive time since plugging in the USB and it’s still not finished installing 🥺
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Very different times have been reported for USB installation. I wonder why? The memory stick I was using was many years old, if that has anything to do with it and I only do quick format to prepare it for the new data. I’ll try a full format on a more recent one next time.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

As I mentioned earlier, I installed the full Europe 1333 version from a 64GB stick a few days ago. It took some 40 minutes of driving around the city, with couple of stops. I've been installing the full Europe via USB stick for the last couple of map versions.
My home region is South Eastern Europe (2GB of data) and over the air with my pretty fast 4G SIM it takes approx. half an hour to install the home region.

I don't think it's the amount of data that is the problem, but the "impastation" of the data into the existing map (or similar). Since it takes almost the exact time to install the home region and the whole map, I'd rather install the whole map via USB. It takes less time for me to download the whole map anyway.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Decided today to do a full update to Version 1333 of the Whole of Europe Map - i.e. covering all 16 of the separate “European” maps. That’s 52GB (53 files) to download to an empty USB. Despite having fast broadband at home mine trundled along at c.3MB/second which l presume was simply limited by the Volvo Support server speed. No problem. Just left it running during an afternoon. On to the car - it took only 40 minutes to install, and then gave me the “leave it now” message, when you can close down and let it finish off. Simples.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:33 pm Decided today to do a full update to Version 1333 of the Whole of Europe Map - i.e. covering all 16 of the separate “European” maps. That’s 52GB (53 files) to download to an empty USB. Despite having fast broadband at home mine trundled along at c.3MB/second which l presume was simply limited by the Volvo Support server speed. No problem. Just left it running during an afternoon. On to the car - it took only 40 minutes to install, and then gave me the “leave it now” message, when you can close down and let it finish off. Simples.
Excellent. Thanks for the info. 👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Nifad

Post by Nifad »

When the car tells you that a map file is too large to download, the on-screen instruction is given to contact volvo.com support. I did this and they don't have a clue what I should do other than go to my nearest dealership, pay a fee, and get them to download the map update for me? It appears that if you don't replace your on-board modem sim… at considerable cost I might add, then the updates soon become too large to download either by your iPhone or your Wi-Fi hotspot connection. I believe that this is a deliberate action by Volvo to press users into regular auto updates via the modem and if this is the case then Volvo have mis-represented this in their marketing. When I bought my Volvo, brand-new in 2019, the sales person told us that after a year we would be able to get a new Sim card for about £10. We used 3gb in that first year and Vodafone want £100 for a 100gb replacement! At my usage rate this is a rip-off. I know other sims are available but they are still expensive when I need @3gb per year. My Volvo connects to my very-fast home Wi-Fi and would probably download the map update for Western Europe in minutes but Volvo have built in a limit that can't be overcome ...this can only benefit Volvo.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Nifad wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:38 pm When the car tells you that a map file is too large to download, the on-screen instruction is given to contact volvo.com support. I did this and they don't have a clue what I should do other than go to my nearest dealership, pay a fee, and get them to download the map update for me? It appears that if you don't replace your on-board modem sim… at considerable cost I might add, then the updates soon become too large to download either by your iPhone or your Wi-Fi hotspot connection. I believe that this is a deliberate action by Volvo to press users into regular auto updates via the modem and if this is the case then Volvo have mis-represented this in their marketing. When I bought my Volvo, brand-new in 2019, the sales person told us that after a year we would be able to get a new Sim card for about £10. We used 3gb in that first year and Vodafone want £100 for a 100gb replacement! At my usage rate this is a rip-off. I know other sims are available but they are still expensive when I need @3gb per year. My Volvo connects to my very-fast home Wi-Fi and would probably download the map update for Western Europe in minutes but Volvo have built in a limit that can't be overcome ...this can only benefit Volvo.
So I am sure you already know about the three SIM which costs about £33 for the year or £44 for 2 years - here's a link to Amazon https://amzn.to/2TUFNlq

Three also offer a FREE SIM that gives you 200mb of data per month - here's the link for that https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

At a cost of Zero, the free Three SIM might just have enough data for you
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde