USB transfer rate

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

I’m trying to do the map update 1326 (which now turns out to be 1333). Anyway, it got me thinking. I’ve downloaded the update onto a USB 3.0. The theoretical transfer speed is 600MBs. The transfer rate for a USB-C flash drive is 1500 MBs. So my question is this. Can you plug a USB-C flash drive into the rear socket and benefit from a really fast transfer rate?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm Hey

I’m trying to do the map update 1326 (which now turns out to be 1333). Anyway, it got me thinking. I’ve downloaded the update onto a USB 3.0. The theoretical transfer speed is 600MBs. The transfer rate for a USB-C flash drive is 1500 MBs. So my question is this. Can you plug a USB-C flash drive into the rear socket and benefit from a really fast transfer rate?
I think you’ll find that the rear usb c socket is only a charging point and does not provide a data connection to the Sensus system. I haven’t actually tried it but I have a vague recollection of reading it in an old post.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

That’s right, the rear USB C socket does not connect to Sensus, it's only a power port. From user manual: “USB input (type C) on rear of tunnel console for charging telephones and tablets. It is not possible to playback media in the car's audio or media system via this input”
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Thanks both. Well that’s that then. Just have to wait while it installs 🙄
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
hammo

Post by hammo »

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but if I connect the car to my house Wi-fi, why can’t it download maps directly to the car.
And why can’t the car stay connected to the Wi-fi while downloading maps if it needs to?

Come on Volvo, catch up. Feels like we have gone back to dial up internet😢
XC40 B4P AWD Inscription, sunroof, winter pack, conv. pack, apple play, spare wheel, mud flaps.
Paint and interior protection, 5 years service option. SPARE KEY @£75 :( :( :(
Denim blue, automatic,
(arrived 14 Nov. 2020) 😉
:D
Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm Hey

USB 3 transfer rate is considerably faster than you quote.

You may have transferred the file to your USB drive at USB3 speeds but the transfer to the car will be up to 10x slower as the car's USB interface is only USB2.

The USB spec in the Volvo, mentioned in the car's manual, is USB 2. So the slowest link is the determining speed.

Best just to leave the stick in the slot and forget about it, at least for a long journey or a few short journeys. The process doesn't need to be done in one, it will simply carry on from where it was up to in the next journey.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

hammo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am Forgive me for stating the obvious, but if I connect the car to my house Wi-fi, why can’t it download maps directly to the car.
And why can’t the car stay connected to the Wi-fi while downloading maps if it needs to?

You can connect the car to house WiFi for the download if it’s size is <2Gb, very fast when you do that BUT you still have the long installation process to follow. I don’t think the size limit is governed by the space on the car’s hardrive, possibly more to do with max file size limitations of the file system the car uses. I have a WiFi point in my garage and used to use it regularly for map updates before the size got too big.

If Volvo got their act together they could quite easily get over the file size limit by splitting up the download files ( which they do for the usb method). I wonder if they assume that everyone will download via sim/phone data connection and limit the size to save the user data allowance...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

hammo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am Come on Volvo, catch up. Feels like we have gone back to dial up internet😢
Mine just stays up-to-date by itself, I presume via the onboard SIM. I don't know why other people are getting bogged down with specific updates, file sizes, USB sticks and home WiFi.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

Rifleman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:21 pm
hammo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am Forgive me for stating the obvious, but if I connect the car to my house Wi-fi, why can’t it download maps directly to the car.

You can connect the car to house WiFi for the download if it’s size is <2Gb, very fast when you do that BUT you still have the long installation process to follow. I don’t think the size limit is governed by the space on the car’s hardrive, possibly more to do with max file size limitations of the file system the car uses. I have a WiFi point in my garage and used to use it regularly for map updates before the size got too big.

If Volvo got their act together they could quite easily get over the file size limit by splitting up the download files ( which they do for the usb method). I wonder if they assume that everyone will download via sim/phone data connection and limit the size to save the user data allowance...
I think you've got your processes mixed up!!

Via WiFi is quicker in every aspect. It's quicker to download to the car and far far quicker to install. It's minutes of a process. And with Auto-update it just does it.

The USB process is far slower in every aspect. Far slower to donlwnload, and far slower, once the USB is connected to the car to install. It's hours of a process. And it's mostly a manual process.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

jamie307 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:39 pm
hammo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am Come on Volvo, catch up. Feels like we have gone back to dial up internet😢
Mine just stays up-to-date by itself, I presume via the onboard SIM. I don't know why other people are getting bogged down with specific updates, file sizes, USB sticks and home WiFi.
Yes, mine used to do that. Updated all by itself quite happily until the local map (Western Europe) got too big which prevents you doing this anymore, has to be done by usb now.