Fan speeds.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Hello all,

Thought I would finally post on here about fan speeds, there's probably a simple explanation.

I have my fan speed set at 4 on the climate control, I have my temperature normally set at 23 degrees in these freezing times, but when i set off on my journey there is barely anything coming out of the air vents, no difference if i have the fan speed set to 1 or 5, after about 10 minutes or so you can finally feel air coming out of the vents.

Is this because the engine has finally warmed up and warm air can be sent into the cockpit? or am I missing something?

Does seem strange, every car Ive had in the past will pump air out when requested.

Is there a setting I am missing in the climate control?

Cheers.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You’re right: in cold temperatures air will blow into the cockpit only after engine has warmed up, this has no correlation with fan speed settings. I also find that it takes a bit longer compared to other cars I had.
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

We’re finding this to be the same too.

Except ours is a PHEV. Surely that logic shouldn’t apply here. During lockdown most of our journeys have been pure electric, and we’ve really noticed the heat up lag during the recent cold snaps.

Last car was a 330e, also a PHEV, don’t recall ever having a warm up lag with the fans on that.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Not sure I'd be wanting to be blasted with cold air while driving though - waiting for warm air seems much nicer to me. Seems a clever trick to me. Clever Volvo. Had some plinth heaters in the kitchen that were similar...they wouldn't blow until there was some heat in the pipes feeding them. Loving heated seats and steering wheel though mmm toasty
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

That's because you keep it in auto. As mentioned, it is to prevent cold air from blowing in your face until the engine has warmed up. Turn auto off and set the fan speed to 5 if you want the cold freshness to wake you up in the morning :)