At home in the snow / off road mode

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

I just wanted to say a big thanks to all those who recommended the use of the off road mode in the snow and ice.
We live at the top of a large steep hill and over the last few days the ice has become quite dangerous. So today I braved the hill and used the off road mode to slowly go down. It worked a treat and the car felt very safe and secure.
I have attached a couple of photos which I took once we arrived at our destination.
Many thanks

5D5DEFB2-768C-4CE7-8F72-882FB91EB220.jpeg

6295C683-FC74-4FC9-A65F-591989F80927.jpeg

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Well done. That's one of the great advantages of hill descent control which comes in to play with the off-road mode for just this occasion. Worth noting for other readers that Volvo advise that the mode is not designed to be used on public roads.....and only works at low speed.

I find the best mode for driving on now/ice is ECO as it slows the response of the accelerator. I have an individual mode set up which is based on eco but has enhanced air con set. However I would also use offroad mode for going down such an icy hill slowly and in a controlled way!
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
skimm

Post by skimm »

Well done mate, the offroad mode on the AWD 4x4 is actually very very good- -just type in XC40 offroad in Youtube and you'll see what the car is capable of.

I had a T4AWD but have changed to a T5 PHEV FWD. The extra 60bhp just gets the wheels spinning which would not have happened on the AWD, and I can forget about snow driving without winter tyres.
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20