Looking to Buy a New or Used Volvo XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bobjaesusjones

Post by bobjaesusjones »

Hi there People,

Thanks for any advise in advance first of all as I am not Usually a Volvo Fan at all. But, we all can change our views.

I am at the stage of Car Life where my Citroen C3 has reached over 150k and needs a new lease of Life in Car Heaven. So I need either a New Car or a Used One.

I cannot do any sort of Plug in System as the extension lead will Not Reach the 12 floor in High in a Tower Block. So I would like to Know the Following if possible. Any comments and ideas would be appreciated.

I want the Best Mileage Volvo XC40 I can get my Hands on with Normal Driving Conditions as I know by doing 100 mph Drinks Juice. Common Sense hopefully prevails in that equation.

Add On Packs are Not a Must for me But if Any, I would like a Sunroof Option if there is One Variant that includes this.

I gather by Looking at the Main Volvo web page I can No Longer get the Diesel Variant so I guess it will have to be a Used Car Option.

Thanks for your time,
Bob.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The XC40 isn't really renowned for its fuel economy but does loosen up after about 10k miles. If that's your main driver for choosing the model you might end up disappointed. They are however well built, great to drive and loaded with lots of lovely toys (or can be depending on the spec you choose)

A derv will have higher mpg. But my petrol T4 will rock along quite happily north of 40mpg in normal times with mostly long runs with added hills and short journeys denting that. Lockdown means no long runs so the average is down to early 30s.

You'll find plenty of information on Volvo's XC40 webpage where you can easily see what is included with each model and what is available within a pack or as an accessory.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

I've had my XC40 B4 since early January, and have only managed to do short trips to the shops in it. My average at the moment is 24.0mpg. I'm hoping that this will increase once lockdown lifts and my journeys start to get back to normal.
Fortunately I was aware of the poor mileage before I bought the car.
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I got above 41 mpg for the 6 months or so I had my first XC40 - the D4. Totally mixed driving conditions covering just under 5000 miles. So it never got to the above 10000 stage when in theory it might have improved. Mixed mode driving also and Polestarred for the last month.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I think I might be qualified for this answer, so my apologies for the quite long post :)
I've had my Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 Sport VTi for some 13 years (some 120k miles) and although I enjoyed driving it (its seats still beats many cars' seats I've tried over the years, including XC40) the time has come to pass it to my junior, so that nice sporty toy can still run in the family.
About a year and a half ago I tried one XC40 (Momentum), along with many other cars I've drove those days and it felt "nice" and "OK". My wife actually cursed when we completed the test drive, saying "F...! Now it's pointless to test any other car, because we will compare all of them with Volvo, and it set the bar high"
So, we started looking at Volvo XC40 although we we also looking at other models, preferably Peugeot 3008, a pretty similar to XC40 (at least by dimensions).
Exactly a year ago I applied for the test drive again and this time I drove XC40 D3 R-Design throughout the city. The lady who brought it was talking about technical aspects of the car, we were talking about cars while driving and about life and at one point she asked me: "OK, how do you feel about this model?" My immediate answer was: "This is my car! I'm driving it like I've been driving it for years, it feels natural to me, all the nuts and joints are at the logical position and I really love it. I don't feel like I just stepped in some car for the first time" I really felt like that, but the price (some 50k EUR) was over my estimated budget at the time.
So we started talking about the used car as an option, as well as about some new models. My main "challenge" was the fact my old Peugeot had a ton of equipment (sunroof, HiFi, folding side mirrors, hooks in the trunk) but lacked some new features (Pilot, Blind Spot assist, Smartphone integration) so I wanted a new car that pretty much has all the features my old car had, with some 2020 features (minus Covid, of course). Turns out it was a hard choice, because new SUV cars that have all those features cost a lot more than I was expected.
So, in May 2020 I got an e-mail from the saleswoman who I drove white XC40 D3 R-Design with couple of months ago, saying they got a perfect match for me - two years old Red XC40 D4 R-Design with sunroof and almost all features I requested (which turned out to be wrong, because it had all the features I wanted, plus more), with almost 40k miles for some 42.000 EUR (that beauty was worth over 60k EUR when she was new!) It looked a bit expensive, but since it lacked Harman-Kardon sound (as I was told, which at the end was wrong - there was a HK sound in that car) I rejected the offer. In the following months I asked a tons of offers from various dealers, was trying to find some appropriate XC40 D3 (yup, I wanted a D3 model, because I didn't figure out it's the same engine as D4 but "reduced") all around the Europe but it wasn't an easy task. Even the official Volvo used cars dealer (Volvo Selekt) had hard times trying to find the exact model. So we narrowed the list to new Peugeot 3008 Black Pack (that was just as an announcement) and Volvo XC40 R-Design. I didn't want Hybrid models because my cars are on highways some 70-80% of the time, so I aimed for Diesel. New XC40 models with all the features were some 50k EUR, while that used (but in mint condition!) XC40 D4 AWD R-Design was little above 40k EUR.
So I decided to get the final offer from Peugeot for that new 3008 Diesel (95 kW) with all the features I wanted for 38k EUR. The very next day I got the update from Volvo Selekt dealer for that used D4 AWD R-Design (140 kW) with all those features plus more for 40k EUR. At the end of the day, I'm writing this on Volvo forum, and not on Peugeot forum, right? ;)
My point, after all this intro is that Volvo is a whole new world compared to PSA cars, which are good, decent and fairly priced. But the quality Volvo offers you can feel the moment you press any button in the cabin (if you choose anything but Momentum, of course). My D4 AWD R-Design has 40k miles on the gauge but jumps like a little girl and there's no squeaks, hums or any strange noises in the cabin while driving (to be fair, neither my Peugeot 207 generated any cabin noise after 13 years). Mileage is not as good as what Peugeot 3008 offers and my average is some 40 mpg but with 190 horse power. That's the exact mileage I got from 1.6 VTi 90kW petrol engine at my old Peugeot.
My XC40 feels new, looks new (there's not a scratch on her) and is new even after almost three years. So, if you want a Diesel Volvo, aim for some used model and you can't be wrong. There are many people out there who want to swap their diesel engines for hybrids or electric so perhaps you can get such a great deal as I did. Again, the used Volvo costed me 2k EUR more than similar brand new 3008, but I do not regret it at all! After 3 k miles and 3 months of driving I can't wait for borders to open and for my Volvo to meet some new roads.
There's no 3008, C5, Qashqai or Grandland that can compare with XC40 (except on paper). However, sit in Audi Q3 and you'll probably be amazed, but it will probably take some 10k EUR more to get the same level of equipment and excitement as in XC40.
So, aim for R-Design and the sunroof. Be aware that cars nowadays don't have the glass ceiling but window (opening). Volvo is that soundproof that you get approximately the same amount of road/wind noise in the cabin with panoramic roof's sun blind open and closed. For most PSA cars it is more comfortable to close it on highways because then you can enjoy the HiFi in your car. Volvo? You hardly even notice noise by doing 100 mph.

Good luck with your choice and let me know if you want connections with official Volvo used cars dealers ;)
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Well said ropetko. In addition, I think you may have just won an award for the longest post ever on this board πŸ‘
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

pjm007 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 pm Well said ropetko. In addition, I think you may have just won an award for the longest post ever on this board πŸ‘
πŸ€£πŸ˜€ Thanks! I just hope it’s grammatically correct, because English is not my primary language. But I’m a storyteller, as you can see, and me and my XC40 just started creating nice stories.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
bobjaesusjones

Post by bobjaesusjones »

Many Many Thanks for the information people, Love The Story Teller information for sure ( ropetko ) and its information like that and Real People with Real thoughts that make choices a bit more easier to make. Am going to Look Hard and Strong in Volvo XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018 and See what I can find out. I want a car to Relax into Retirement with but Enjoy before I get there so another 13 years of car Journeys I want to Relax and Say , Yup " You Did Well Bob " .

Cheers again Peeps and I will re post if and When I get One.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Perhaps your ideal purchase would be a 2018 D4 First Edition? I see a few of them on re-sale now. All the bells and whistles which were initially sold for a lower packaged price. They have held their value well but you still get many more features for the Β£/$€ than for non FEs
Faria

Post by Faria »

I have D4 AWD r design pro late 2019 model with Driver assist, sunroof, parking assist, BLIS, convenience pack, heated seat and windscreen , intellisafe. Its a gorgeous red color with 20 inch wheel. Let me know if you are interested. Mileage done is 9600