Map Update beyond 1326

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Moss

Post by Moss »

Rifleman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:44 pm
Moss wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:38 pm There seems to be some confusion about downloading the Sensus Navigation maps, and about the time it takes to do it.

Much depends on which map one downloads, of course.

In my case, the maps of the Benelux (1 GB) and of France (4 GB) take only minutes to download and to install, whether one does that via USB or via the data SIM in the boot. The map of NW Europe (2 GB) including Great Britain also takes minutes to download and install.

But downloading and installing the map of the whole of Europe (52 GB) as I have personally done yesterday for my wife’s XC40 takes much longer. Downloading the map PC to USB stick took about 3 hours, and then installing the map from the USB stick to the Sensus Navigation in the car took about an hour and a half.

Quite logical in my opinion : the map files of just the Benelux, France, or NW Europe are only a few gigabytes each, while the map files of the whole of Europe are more than ten times larger (52 GB).

As for the question whether to use a USB stick or the internet connection in the car (the SIM card in the boot) : the smaller maps (= the smaller files) can easily be updated via the car’s internet connection, while the use of a USB stick is for the larger maps (= the larger files). However, the smaller maps can – if so wished – just as well be updated via USB stick : no problem, and it’s about as quick as using the car’s own internet connection.

I hope this helps.
No, not really. It’s the 2Gb Western Europe (UK, Ireland and Iceland) that I’m quoting download/installation times for.
The 2 GB should install in less than 15 minutes, be it using a USB stick or not. There may be something wrong with the files of those NW Europe maps indeed.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Rifleman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:25 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Rifleman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:21 pm

No, not in my experience! USB method is very very slow to install, much much slower than over the internet connection and it ties up the usb socket while it installs. I’ve known it to take over 3 hours of driving to install the UK maps. Over the air it’s usually 15-20mins.
Tried numerous different specs/makes/capacity of USB sticks but all to no avail. Gutted now that the UK maps are too big for over the air installation ☹️
That’s interesting and confusing (at least for me).

Therefore I have untold questions🙄. So, I’ve just gone online and the update is now 1333 instead of 1326. So I’ve downloaded that version to USB. Took 9 minutes. So let me get my head round this. Are you saying that you download the UK and it takes 15-20 mins? Then you pop it in the car and it can take 3 hours to install? What I can’t get my head around is the 2 processes. An over the air download and a USB download are 2 different things but the install process is 1? Are you saying it’s the transfer rate from the USB to the car that’s the problem? If that’s the case, that’s a car processing issue isn’t it?

Regards

Confused from Orpington.
By over the air I mean letting the Sensus update the maps using the cars internet connection ( in my case the car's internal modem which uses the data sim installed in the boot ), there is no USB stick or downloading from Volvo’s website via a PC/Mac.
Bizarrely the amount of data downloaded via the sim is much less than the size of the files that are created on the USB stick if you use that method.

The slow method is download to usb stick on my PC which takes a few minutes, insert the USB stick into the car and leave it there while the map installs where it takes a few hours of driving time during which the USB port is not available for playing music from a usb stick.
The fast method is to download via the in car sim which again takes a few minutes, then the Sensus automatically installs it which usually takes less than 30mins to finish the install. The USB port can still be used for playing music from a usb stick while the map installs.

So yes, it’s a problem with the car extracting data from the usb stick.

Hope that clears up any confusion...
Yes and no.....😂
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Just trying to help….

If downloading and installing the 2 GB map files for just NW Europe (or Western Europe as described here) indeed "takes ages" via USB stick, one can just as well use the USB stick to download and install the 52 GB map files for the whole of Europe : that « only » takes 3 hours to download from PC to USB stick, and only one hour and a half from the USB stick to the Sensus Navigation in the car.

In other words, who knows, it could be quicker to update the whole of Europe than just NW Europe (UK, Ireland, and Iceland).
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

The new V1333 downloaded to a memory stick occupies 2.72 GB. I think this is not much larger than previous updates but it seems it is too large for direct installation via the Sensus system. So the only alternative is via the USB port, isn’t it? I agree with Dermottdog that installation then takes a far greater time than via the vehicle SIM, but in the present case it appears to be the only option.
Moss

Post by Moss »

WelshRobin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:13 pm The new V1333 downloaded to a memory stick occupies 2.72 GB. I think this is not much larger than previous updates but it seems it is too large for direct installation via the Sensus system. So the only alternative is via the USB port, isn’t it? I agree with Dermottdog that installation then takes a far greater time than via the vehicle SIM, but in the present case it appears to be the only option.
By the way, and just to be clear : I am of course also talking about the 1333 version of the map(s), released on Feb. 11th 2021.
The only possible difference is that I download from the French Belgian pages of the Volvocars.com website, and not from the UK pages :
https://www.volvocars.com/fr-be/support ... s/maps/spa

And also by the way, the French Belgian version of the maps download webpage clearly states that the update has to be done by USB stick : « La mise à jour est effectuée avec une clé USB (64 Go) et les cartes peuvent être téléchargées gratuitement sur le site Volvo Cars Support. ».
jediblade1

Post by jediblade1 »

Hi, trying to update my maps for NW Europe. Downloaded the map onto my stick, got in the car and followed the instructions in the manual i.e. activate the navigation, insert the memory stick etc. A message appears at the top saying NW Europe installing but no installation status, % etc showing how long it will be . Is this other people's experience or is something wrong?
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

jediblade1 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:49 pm Hi, trying to update my maps for NW Europe. Downloaded the map onto my stick, got in the car and followed the instructions in the manual i.e. activate the navigation, insert the memory stick etc. A message appears at the top saying NW Europe installing but no installation status, % etc showing how long it will be . Is this other people's experience or is something wrong?
You don’t get any indication of installation progress It can take upto 3 hours of driving time before the installation completes, it then says it’s complete but that you have to turn the ignition off before the map becomes active.

When it was possible to download this map directly to the car via the internal modem you saw a download progress percentage indicator but once the download completes and the message changes to installing then there is no indication of progress. Just crap Volvo software I’m afraid...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

jediblade1 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:49 pm Hi, trying to update my maps for NW Europe. Downloaded the map onto my stick, got in the car and followed the instructions in the manual i.e. activate the navigation, insert the memory stick etc. A message appears at the top saying NW Europe installing but no installation status, % etc showing how long it will be . Is this other people's experience or is something wrong?
Hi

Yes, I’ve got a problem too. Others on here have tried to guide me through. After update 1326 seemed to take an age to install, I abandoned it. Been back on the Volvo site and now I’ve downloaded 1333 to a USB. Not yet tried to install yet. However, I seemed to remember that there was an issue downloading stuff via USB because of a compatibility issue when using a Mac. Is this still an issue?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Sps1999

Post by Sps1999 »

I have my first service in two weeks, presumable they will update the software, but anyone know if that will include maps?
Tech Spec

Post by Tech Spec »

I think you're expected to update those yourself.