Remote Start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
klocin96

Post by klocin96 »

Just throwing my two cents in the pot. I'm in Scotland and have had 'severe' snow most mornings and temps always below 0 when I leave for work. I've found that using the 'remote start' feature starts the car (obviously) and the climate settings resume from what they were set at when I parked up previously, that and the heated seats and steering wheel also engage (if on when parking up).

I'm not too bothered about the climate setting as the seats and wheel are more than enough to keep me toasty.
2018 FE in Crystal White

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

It sounds as if I haven't set something up right as my climate turns off and doesn't restart at the settings I left it on in remote start but does in manual start. Any one any idea how to resolve?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

When you start normally, the fan doesn’t blow at speed. The thinking behind this is to do with blowing cold air out at force making the cabin colder. Obviously, on a normal start, no one sits idling for 15 minutes. Normally people start and drive. This warms the water much quicker than idling. I don’t know why people are surprised that the cabin lacks warmth on a remote start when the engine has been idling rather than running at normal speeds.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I'm only bothered about having the windows/mirrors clear of ice/snow. Done by setting a couple of options...

Settings/Climate/Auto Rear Defrost
Settings/Climate/Auto Front Defrost

5 minutes of Remote Start seems enough to have everything clear.
MY2020 R-Design
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

DanishPastry wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm I'm only bothered about having the windows/mirrors clear of ice/snow. Done by setting a couple of options...

Settings/Climate/Auto Rear Defrost
Settings/Climate/Auto Front Defrost

5 minutes of Remote Start seems enough to have everything clear.

👍
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
DrAdrian

Post by DrAdrian »

I seem to have mastered remote start which seems to work out if it needs the sreen heaters. Can I include the heated seats? If so, how? The memsahib is complaining.
Inscription b5 Auto.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Does anyone ever read the manual these days (all answers are in there!) 🤷‍♂️
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

Chris John wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:53 am Does anyone ever read the manual these days (all answers are in there!) 🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately, the manual does not cover everything, especially things related to remote start. I, too, had difficulty understanding how automatic start of the seat heating works together with engine remote start - because the seat heating never seemed to start automatically when the engine was remotely started - with automatic seat heating turned on and outside temp below 10 degrees - it just didn't feel warm. So I asked the service and below is the answer I received - some parts of which are not in the manual:

"Manual seat heating can be set to three different heat levels or switched off. A memory function at engine start ensures that the same heat level is set as in the previous drive cycle. If ECO climate is selected, seat heating is not activated at engine start.

It is possible to set automatic seat heating at engine start. The lowest heat level is used by default but can be changed in the Center Console Display (CCD). Automatic seat heating starts if climate control is active in the heat-up phase and the seat temperature is below a predetermined value. The outside temperature must also be under 10°C. The seat heating stops when reaching climate comfort in the passenger compartment."
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Couldn't agree more. I have poured over manual (if you can pour over on screen) and cant find how to set climate to come on using remote start. I know it won't fully warm car. But starting manually with climate on and leaving for 15 minutes is far warmer than using remote start and having climate switch off automatically.
Iggy6543

Post by Iggy6543 »

Copy/Paste from the manual:

"Activating and deactivating automatic start of heated front seat.

The seats can be heated in order to increase comfort for driver and passengers when it is cold.

It is possible to set whether automatic start of heated seats should be activated/deactivated when the engine is started. With automatic start activated, heating will start in the event of low ambient temperature.

Press Settings in the top view in the centre display.

Press Climate.

Select Auto Driver Seat Heating Level and Auto Passenger Seat Heating Level to activate/deactivate automatic start of heated driver's and passenger seat.

An "A" is shown at each button for heated front seats in the climate row when automatic starting has been activated.

Select Low, Medium or High to select level after the function has been activated".

It's all in there; just needs reading 🙂