Rubber Swedish Flag

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NickC

Post by NickC »

Just heard that Volvo are only putting these rubber swedish flags on the first 5000 vehicles produced. All other cars will not have them. Seemed to be advertised as a sign of a FE vehicle, reality is not.

Apparently local delear has had a number of disgruntled owners.

Sounds like a job for the 3d printer ;-)

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

This has come up a few times in other threads but perhaps not quite gone to bed so did a little more digging.

Whilst not absolutely from source (it's a website reporting from a Volvo source) here is one reference that it's only the first 4000

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2019 ... -features/

"Outside, one of the coolest design features is the little Swedish flag that sticks out from under the hood like the tag on a stuffed animal. It will only come on the first 4,000 cars built globally, according to Volvo spokesperson Jim Nichols. He watched as every person who walked up to the XC40 during last year’s Los Angeles Auto Show touched the tag."
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

As I believe it's been mentioned before, the little flag whilst nice, will be a magnet for some idiot who thinks pulling it off as a trophy is cool, thus damaging the pain work in the process - part of me isn't bother, however maybe a little flag on the inside :-) ??

Of course, if mine comes with it on :-)
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I figure we are way past that threshold e.g if say 200 cars produced a day that limit would have been surpassed in 25 days - and they have been manufacturing, what?, since November? if not before.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Does this really bother people?

I genuinely thought it looked tacky and awful on the one in the showroom. Not something you’d want on a car
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I agreee looked cheap and tacky and I don’t think it would last long before someone took it as a souvenir
T5 First edition Crystal White
NickC

Post by NickC »

Totally agree not too worried, as mentioned there will be some brainless idiot who decides its clever to remove. Just though I would pass on the info supplied by my dealer.
Gseany

Post by Gseany »

I was told by my dealer that it was going to be fitted to the First Edition models only (as they were limited). When mine turned up minus the said flag I questioned the dealer. He contacted Volvo UK who said that the flag was only being fitted to dealer test drive vehicles?? Strange that as a limited edition vehicle, the First edition is actually the only model that isn't identified as a specific edition...
XC40 First Edition, Flame Red, 19" wheels
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Gseany wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 am Strange that as a limited edition vehicle, the First edition is actually the only model that isn't identified as a specific edition...
Wasn't quite sure what you meant by this - the FE isn't a limited edition in the "numbered plaque on the dashboard" sense of the word. Quite a few manufacturers produce First Editions as a way to simplify specs while ramping up production of a new model, there generally isn't a set number of units to be produced.

As far as the flags go, all the press cars had them, but no-one mentioned (at least not to me, anyway) that most customer cars wouldn't get them. Can't say I'm desperately upset about it, although I would like to have one. It's been suggested that Volvo might look at producing it as an accessory, so if you want one I'd recommend you mention it to your dealer - as I will be - in the hope it gets fed back to Volvo.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if some enterprising Chinese ebay seller doesn't knock a few up at some point...
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

For those missing the Swedish flag, here an option to add one to your car
https://goo.gl/BaVv4G

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 13.19.46.png

T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18