Stop/start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

I'm ok with physical buttons and levers, I know where they are.

When changing gear in a manual car, for instance, I never look at the gear stick 🤪

Yes, pressing the button scrolls down the entire list, just keep pressing!

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

8 Characters wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:24 pm I'm ok with physical buttons and levers, I know where they are.

When changing gear in a manual car, for instance, I never look at the gear stick 🤪

Yes, pressing the button scrolls down the entire list, just keep pressing!
👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It seams faulty support battery is a known issue to Volvo. When support battery is malfunctioning, start-stop, park assist, windshield wipers, assisted steering, internet modem, VOC could become unavailable. There’s a new system software update addressing this matter, as well as an improved support battery. Talk to your dealer if facing issues and support battery could be warranty replaced.
JVT

Post by JVT »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 pm It seams faulty support battery is a known issue to Volvo. When support battery is malfunctioning, start-stop, park assist, windshield wipers, assisted steering, internet modem, VOC could become unavailable. There’s a new system software update addressing this matter, as well as an improved support battery. Talk to your dealer if facing issues and support battery could be warranty replaced.
From where are you getting the info about the software update, and improved battery?

I see no reference to it on the Volvo support/software site. Do you have another official source?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JVT wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm
eugen61 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 pm It seams faulty support battery is a known issue to Volvo. When support battery is malfunctioning, start-stop, park assist, windshield wipers, assisted steering, internet modem, VOC could become unavailable. There’s a new system software update addressing this matter, as well as an improved support battery. Talk to your dealer if facing issues and support battery could be warranty replaced.
From where are you getting the info about the software update, and improved battery?

I see no reference to it on the Volvo support/software site. Do you have another official source?
Park assist, start-stop and SIM internet modem were malfunctioning so I took the car to Volvo service. I was informed that support battery is faulty and potentially creating issues with components connected directly to it. The Volvo technician explained that a new software update is addressing the support battery connectivity (my previous software updated was in December 2020) and the new support battery I was getting is an improved version of the one built into my FY2020 XC40.

The fact that at engine start-up several components and functionalities are connected to the support battery (not the main battery) might explain the increasing number of complaints here on the forum about temporary unavailability of start-stop and SIM internet connectivity. It seams that winter months with low temperatures combined with few miles driven due to lockdown trigger support battery problems for others as well.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The new software update I was referring to is from 1/27/2021. Volvo published details about it on its support site: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/so ... 40/2019w17
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:03 am

The new software update I was referring to is from 1/27/2021. Volvo published details about it on its support site: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/so ... 40/2019w17
I've also looked for reference to new software and a revised battery but can't find anything on the support site.

The software 27/1/2021 that you refer too makes no reference to the battery issues corrected by the update or a newer battery.

The software site specifically says the update is for Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation, and that's all it says. Do you have another official source that explains the connection to engine management optimization and battery troubles.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Only Me wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:44 am
eugen61 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:03 am

I've also looked for reference to new software and a revised battery but can't find anything on the support site.

The software 27/1/2021 that you refer too makes no reference to the battery issues corrected by the update or a newer battery.

The software site specifically says the update is for Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation, and that's all it says. Do you have another official source that explains the connection to engine management optimization and battery troubles.
The source of detailed information was the Volvo technician servicing my car. Please see my previous post in this thread.
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

Ahhh...the notorious Volvo technician source. Enough said 🙂...
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

WelshRobin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm I don’t like the Start/Stop feature either, but you can disable it. Go to ‘Settings’, select ‘My Car’ then ‘Individual Drive Mode’. Swipe the screen up and at the bottom you will find a box to untick for the Start/Stop feature. This will then stay as your choice whenever you click ‘Individual’ in the Drive Mode list. If you feel it would be useful for the traffic conditions again, simply select ‘Comfort’ from the drive mode list.

When I get tired of keeping the foot brake pressed at a long traffic light delay, I revert to my previous practice with a manual transmission: put the gear in neutral and apply the wheel brake with the centre console button until I anticipate the light is about to go green.
I've just had my car in for its first service. The garage updated the software and I no longer have to sit with my foot on the brake to keep the engine stopped.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue