Parking brake release

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

frtsrm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:19 pm
8 Characters wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:38 am
frtsrm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 am Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior of the XC40 parking brake. But it's not normal in the industry. None of my past cars with an electronic parking brake (Mazda CX-5, Peugeot 308, Golf) had such a stubborn electronic parking brake. You get used to it, but it's not ideal. I, too, manually release the parking brake when I need to make tight maneuvers.
The auto brake, as mentioned by the original poster, which applies when the engine is switched off and set by a menu option, is different from the auto hold feature, which is switched on/off by the button behind the parking brake switch. The one with the small green LED light on the switch.

I usually have it activated, so when stopping at traffic lights it activates the parking brake. However during tight manoeuvres I switch it off. I just can't move close to walls/other cars/people to the precise detail I'd want to with it activated.

So for me neither of the methods of auto application are instantaneous (as suggested by Felindre) , although the autohold (green led) is slightly less abrupt.
Thank you, I am well aware of the difference between parking brake and auto-hold and I was referring to the parking brake release issue that the original poster raised. Btw, auto-hold is also a bit firm for my liking.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. With you referring to switching it off when making tight manoeuvres I thought you were referring to the autohold.

The auto parking brake system that the OP was referring to comes into play when the car is stopped and engine is off. But I can see now that it would be relevant if you were starting the car in a tight space.

ropetko

Post by ropetko »

It took me a month to get the exact fine pressure for releasing that parking brake, plus I'm usually parked down the hill so the kick is a bit stronger ;)

But here's what you can do: When you start your engine, hold your foot on the brake pedal a bit longer and then turn off the parking brake via button. You'll hear the sound of parking brake releasing and the moment you lift your foot off the brake pedal, you're good to go. Smoothly.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Interesting thread. I've read it carefully twice and I'm still unclear about some things. I think there are THREE different systems interacting.

The original poster is very clearly talking about "Auto Activate Parking Brake". About which the manual says:
"Automatic parking brake activation setting
Choose whether the parking brake is to be activated automatically when the car is switched off."

Some of the comments in the thread are clearly referring to
Automatic brake when stationary (Auto Hold). Which is activated by the (A) button, found below the (P) button on the centre console.

Another aspect is
"Hill start assist prevents the car from rolling backwards when starting on an uphill gradient. When reversing uphill, it prevents the car from rolling forwards.
The function means that the pedal pressure in the brake system remains for several seconds while the driver's foot is moved from brake pedal to accelerator pedal.
The temporary braking effect releases after several seconds or when the driver starts to drive away.
Hill start assist is available even when the function for automatic brake when stationary (Auto hold) is deactivated.

Summing up...
I find my XC40 never rolls backwards (or forwards), so I assume Hill Start Assist is always active. I have adopted a light foot so as to get smooth starts.

I no longer use the button for (A) Auto Hold because I find it causes, despite my best efforts, a rough start from stationary that the OP reported. A pity because it means I have to sit at red lights with my foot on the brake because otherwise the engine, after having auto-stopped, auto-starts.

I don't think any combination of settings is ideal.
MY2020 R-Design
brigstowe

Post by brigstowe »

“ A pity because it means I have to sit at red lights with my foot on the brake because otherwise the engine, after having auto-stopped, auto-starts.”

A software update in 2020 corrected this issue, so that you no longer have to keep your foot on the brake pedal when auto-stopped. There was a post on this forum last year, and when my car was serviced in November, this update was applied.
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

brigstowe wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:38 pm “ A pity because it means I have to sit at red lights with my foot on the brake because otherwise the engine, after having auto-stopped, auto-starts.”

A software update in 2020 corrected this issue, so that you no longer have to keep your foot on the brake pedal when auto-stopped. There was a post on this forum last year, and when my car was serviced in November, this update was applied.
“ A pity because it means I have to sit at red lights with my foot on the brake because otherwise the engine, after having auto-stopped, auto-starts.”

What is being described is the correct function of an automatic car with a working stop/start system, and the autohold turned OFF. Because the autohold is off the car needs to be held at traffic lights with the footbrake. The engine is off due to the stop/start system and when you release the footbrake the engine starts and proceeds forward.

The software fix that you are describing isn't to fix this normal operation. It was to fix a car with autohold switched ON. The car with that issue came to a stop by application of the footbrake, the engine switched off by the stop/start system, and the autohold applied the handbrake. But when the footbrake was released the engine restarted.

So that car would be at the lights, held by the handbrake with the engine having momentarily stopped for a second then restarted.