Parking brake release

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

I searched around this forum but couldn't find answer to my question.

I picked up my XC40 T3 automatic on Friday and so far I love it. I enabled the "Auto Activate Parking Brake" in settings (not auto hold - the auto hold LED is off). When I turn on the engine, put in D and try to move forward, it feels like I have to fight the parking brake. Once the car realizes I am trying to move forward, it disengages the parking brake, but at this moment the engine is revved up and the car aggressively moves forward. I almost hit another car today as I lurched forward. I have my foot on brake pedal up until the point I want to move - so foot on brake, turn on engine, shift to D, release foot brake and press gas pedal. I'd expect the car to release the parking brake once I shift to D and release the foot brake. Or when I touch the gas pedal. Instead it keeps it on until I almost drag the wheels with me.

Is this normal behavior? For now, I disengage the parking brake via button before driving forward.

Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

I've always had very similar behaviour. I always use auto parking brake, I've never even used the manual parking brke button even once.

My touch on the accelerator, in my case petrol, is extremely light to avoid the lurch. I use only the lightest of touches and for a split second.

The brake disengages and I apply my foot again to move off.

Like you I use the screen set menu option to auto engage parking brake on engine shut off.

I also use the auto parking brake (the green LED button) that you have switched off. This stops me at traffic lights, for instance, without having to constantly depress the brake pedal to counteract the more traditional auto gearbox creep.
Last edited by Split Infinitive on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Qarx wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:23 pm I searched around this forum but couldn't find answer to my question.

I picked up my XC40 T3 automatic on Friday and so far I love it. I enabled the "Auto Activate Parking Brake" in settings (not auto hold - the auto hold LED is off). When I turn on the engine, put in D and try to move forward, it feels like I have to fight the parking brake. Once the car realizes I am trying to move forward, it disengages the parking brake, but at this moment the engine is revved up and the car aggressively moves forward. I almost hit another car today as I lurched forward. I have my foot on brake pedal up until the point I want to move - so foot on brake, turn on engine, shift to D, release foot brake and press gas pedal. I'd expect the car to release the parking brake once I shift to D and release the foot brake. Or when I touch the gas pedal. Instead it keeps it on until I almost drag the wheels with me.

Is this normal behavior? For now, I disengage the parking brake via button before driving forward.
This is normal. There is no hardship in releasing the brake manually by pushing the brake button down. Every journey, I use a mixture of both manual and auto release.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've not got my XC yet, but I've learnt over the years with my Tiguan to give the accelerator the briefest pre tickle, and the brakes release with no fuss. Then accelerate smoothly away.

Hardest job I find is remembering the misses car has an actual handbrake :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Split Infinitive

Felindre wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 am I've not got my XC yet, but I've learnt over the years with my Tiguan to give the accelerator the briefest pre tickle, and the brakes release with no fuss. Then accelerate smoothly away.

Hardest job I find is remembering the misses car has an actual handbrake :-)

In my earlier post I said:

"My touch on the accelerator is extremely light to avoid the lurch. I use only the lightest of touches and for a split second.

The brake disengages and I apply my foot again to move off".

"...the briefest Pre tickle..." describes it so much better - it's just what I do 🙂 and it works well.
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

Thanks, seems to be feature of all modern cars, if even Tiguan has similar behavior. I will have to remember to either tickle the accelerator or release the brake manually via button.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Can't speak for Volvo's but i imagine it's the same: The VW's have motors that wind the pads onto the disks, and off again. These are mechanical so take a finite time to operate before the pads clear the disk. This is why it's not instantaneous. Knowing this helps understand how to work with the system rather than fight it.

Again from VW experience, the autohold uses the ABS module to maintain the foot brake, when it releases pressure it pretty instantaneous, so it hasn't the same lag.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior of the XC40 parking brake. But it's not normal in the industry. None of my past cars with an electronic parking brake (Mazda CX-5, Peugeot 308, Golf) had such a stubborn electronic parking brake. You get used to it, but it's not ideal. I, too, manually release the parking brake when I need to make tight maneuvers.
Split Infinitive

frtsrm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 am Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior of the XC40 parking brake. But it's not normal in the industry. None of my past cars with an electronic parking brake (Mazda CX-5, Peugeot 308, Golf) had such a stubborn electronic parking brake. You get used to it, but it's not ideal. I, too, manually release the parking brake when I need to make tight maneuvers.
The auto brake, as mentioned by the original poster, which applies when the engine is switched off and set by a menu option, is different from the auto hold feature, which is switched on/off by the button behind the parking brake switch. The one with the small green LED light on the switch.

I usually have it activated, so when stopping at traffic lights it activates the parking brake. However during tight manoeuvres I switch it off. I just can't move close to walls/other cars/people to the precise detail I'd want to with it activated.

So for me neither of the methods of auto application are instantaneous (as suggested by Felindre) , although the autohold (green led) is slightly less abrupt.
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

8 Characters wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:38 am
frtsrm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 am Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior of the XC40 parking brake. But it's not normal in the industry. None of my past cars with an electronic parking brake (Mazda CX-5, Peugeot 308, Golf) had such a stubborn electronic parking brake. You get used to it, but it's not ideal. I, too, manually release the parking brake when I need to make tight maneuvers.
The auto brake, as mentioned by the original poster, which applies when the engine is switched off and set by a menu option, is different from the auto hold feature, which is switched on/off by the button behind the parking brake switch. The one with the small green LED light on the switch.

I usually have it activated, so when stopping at traffic lights it activates the parking brake. However during tight manoeuvres I switch it off. I just can't move close to walls/other cars/people to the precise detail I'd want to with it activated.

So for me neither of the methods of auto application are instantaneous (as suggested by Felindre) , although the autohold (green led) is slightly less abrupt.
Thank you, I am well aware of the difference between parking brake and auto-hold and I was referring to the parking brake release issue that the original poster raised. Btw, auto-hold is also a bit firm for my liking.