Drive Mode configurations

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Being a fully paid up member of the Volvo drivers’ minute detail anorak club (see previous ancient posts on that topic), I asked my local dealer’s excellent technical expert for any documentation which might describe (in more detail than the manual) how the different Drive Modes use the various settings to “configure” the Mode. The attached pages describe what I was looking for quite well. I don’t think I have seen them posted previously. Apologies if they have been. A good benefit here is the pages include descriptions for both “traditional” and the new hybrid vehicle types.

9C5515EE-9CFD-46B3-94D7-796A54EA4364.jpeg

4308E03F-CB1A-4A34-926F-DAA63E3B12AF.jpeg

C844C53E-BB48-420B-AE5E-F13FF4D0F106.jpeg

7732B97D-7AD7-48F0-8A11-EEB30E7B9C0B.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Additionally, as I have the Active 4-C suspension system, I asked for the following pages which describe how that works. This amount of detail is actually far too detailed even for this anorak, but it may be useful to someone.

AB89355F-3121-463B-8F80-F03FE4D9CE1D.jpeg

FEF27DBC-EC50-4D8E-A07D-FB72E0A3BD8F.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
morganj

Post by morganj »

Thanks for these. Very useful.

Have not seen them before.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:53 pm Being a fully paid up member of the Volvo drivers’ minute detail anorak club (see previous ancient posts on that topic), I asked my local dealer’s excellent technical expert for any documentation which might describe (in more detail than the manual) how the different Drive Modes use the various settings to “configure” the Mode. The attached pages describe what I was looking for quite well. I don’t think I have seen them posted previously. Apologies if they have been. A good benefit here is the pages include descriptions for both “traditional” and the new hybrid vehicle types.
Thanks. Very interesting to note about the engine note. However, may T5 is naturally noisy in all modes.

83738D35-80A5-4DB7-900F-D331103E50EA.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Anyone noticed that if you use the Individual drive mode option you can't assign a different look to the Speedo/Tacho dials if you select sports view. The car continues to show the usual display.

You can use the system to drive in Eco but show the Tacho, but you can't drive in the Dynamic and show the red Tacho.

Try it and see.
Go into the Individual Drive mode configuration screen and choose an Eco like configuration but choose a Tacho display as the display type. When you use that Individual mode you will have Eco driving BUT with a normal Tacho instead of the usual Eco scale.

Now try a different config but this time select the red sports Tacho as the display. If you use that Individual mode the Tacho will not change to the sports red look it will carry on using the normal Tacho.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Thank you very much for these details! We had a conversation the other day at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2500&start=10 about Eco drive mode, because the Croatian translation of the XC40 2018 User Manual says the air suspension in Eco mode lowers the vehicle, while the[url = https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... e-mode-eco] UK manual doesn't have that info[/url].
AFAIK it makes sense to use Eco mode in highways, because it can influence the consumption well, especially if the car silhouette can be lower. On the other side, the Volvo service keeps saying the car needs more power on highways therefore the Eco mode is contra productive.
I'm still confused about whether or not using Eco mode on highways...
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

1) I can’t believe that ECO mode shouldn’t be used on highways. Makes no sense at all. Personal choice.

2) Pretty sure that our 4-C on the XC40 does not vary the suspension height. Only stiffness. Anything we see printed about that in XC40 literature is probably a mistake just copied and pasted from XC60 or XC90 air suspension documentation
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

pjm007 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 pm 1) I can’t believe that ECO mode shouldn’t be used on highways. Makes no sense at all. Personal choice.

2) Pretty sure that our 4-C on the XC40 does not vary the suspension height. Only stiffness. Anything we see printed about that in XC40 literature is probably a mistake just copied and pasted from XC60 or XC90 air suspension documentation
I agree with you, but here's the thing:

1) The official Volvo dealer says the D4 engine needs power on highways and that Eco mode only "chokes" it. Plus it can do the damage to DFP filter.

2) I'm pretty sure too about the suspension height and documentation, but as I said, this is not the first time I read that FourC suspension lowers the vehicle height in Eco mode. Would like to know for sure.

On the other hand, I'm leaning toward trusting the official Volvo service a bit more than "some Internet forums" :P
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

ropetko wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 am
pjm007 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 pm 1) I can’t believe that ECO mode shouldn’t be used on highways. Makes no sense at all. Personal choice.

1) The official Volvo dealer says the D4 engine needs power on highways and that Eco mode only "chokes" it. Plus it can do the damage to DFP filter.

2) I'm pretty sure too about the suspension height and documentation, but as I said, this is not the first time I read that FourC suspension lowers the vehicle height in Eco mode. Would like to know for sure.

On the other hand, I'm leaning toward trusting the official Volvo service a bit more than "some Internet forums" :P

I'd suggest reading the manual and trusting common sense.

The manual is clear that a principal benefit of eco is in the coasting function. As this is only realised at moderate to high speeds then the best benefit of eco is on roads where you can go at those speeds.

If you tend to drive in built up areas in town at speeds of between 40 and 87mph (as per the manual) then go for it.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

ropetko wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 am

There is a simple way to check if you have air suspension. Shine a torch in the space above either front wheel. If you can see the bottom end of a steel coil spring you have conventional suspension which is impossible to adjust for height. Please report back.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.