Drive Mode configurations

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Shed Load wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:09 am Anyone noticed that if you use the Individual drive mode option you can't assign a different look to the Speedo/Tacho dials if you select sports view. The car continues to show the usual display.

You can use the system to drive in Eco but show the Tacho, but you can't drive in the Dynamic and show the red Tacho.

Try it and see.
Go into the Individual Drive mode configuration screen and choose an Eco like configuration but choose a Tacho display as the display type. When you use that Individual mode you will have Eco driving BUT with a normal Tacho instead of the usual Eco scale.

Now try a different config but this time select the red sports Tacho as the display. If you use that Individual mode the Tacho will not change to the sports red look it will carry on using the normal Tacho.

Been trying the combinations you suggest and can’t follow your logic. The red tacho surround is only selected through the Display Themes setting and not by selecting one of the display options within the Individual drive mode settings. You say “select the red sports Tacho as the Display” - where do you mean doing that selection?

I am able to configure an Individual drive mode with either the Eco or Tacho inner gauge for any base drive mode selection. The surrounding outer ring is chosen in the Display Themes setting - glass, performance, chrome rings or whatever.

Am I missing something?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

I've also thought about this. In the Individual settings page there's Brakes, Steering etc, but there's also Driver Display where it gives 3 options - Eco, Comfort and Dynamic.

I get Eco, I get Comfort, that's seems to be whatever is set up in Themes, but what does Dynamic do? It just seems to be giving the same as Comfort i.e. whatever is set in Themes.

Maybe Shed Load thought that setting Dynamic would give the red dials.

Is there a button for adding go-faster stripes?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

8 Characters wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:28 pm I've also thought about this. In the Individual settings page there's Brakes, Steering etc, but there's also Driver Display where it gives 3 options - Eco, Comfort and Dynamic.

I get Eco, I get Comfort, that's seems to be whatever is set up in Themes, but what does Dynamic do? It just seems to be giving the same as Comfort i.e. whatever is set in Themes.

Maybe Shed Load thought that setting Dynamic would give the red dials.

Is there a button for adding go-faster stripes?

I think the 3 settings available when configuring an Individual Mode simply indicate that you get the same Driver Display as that which is the standard in each of the 3 Drive Modes. ECO gives you the Eco gauge, and Comfort & Dynamic both give you the Tachometer.

The confusion (like many things in this intriguing car it is confusing) comes from the fact that the term “Driver Display” as used here refers only to what’s INSIDE the outer rings.

The appearance of the outer rings are chosen from the 4 options in the Display Themes setting in the central display. The chosen option is then used for all Driver Displays no matter what’s inside the outer rings.

Simples (not!).

Go faster stripes can be applied by you or your friendly local dealer and do not affect your warranty.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

But why give the three options when in reality there are only two? Why give Eco, Comfort and Dynamic, when Comfort and Dynamic are the same?

It's as if there was an intention there originally but wasn't taken up.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

8 Characters wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:16 pm But why give the three options when in reality there are only two? Why give Eco, Comfort and Dynamic, when Comfort and Dynamic are the same?

It's as if there was an intention there originally but wasn't taken up.

Could be. If only we could explore the mind of the Sensus user interface designer 🤔
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boxybutgood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:51 am
ropetko wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 am
pjm007 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 pm 1) I can’t believe that ECO mode shouldn’t be used on highways. Makes no sense at all. Personal choice.

2) Pretty sure that our 4-C on the XC40 does not vary the suspension height. Only stiffness. Anything we see printed about that in XC40 literature is probably a mistake just copied and pasted from XC60 or XC90 air suspension documentation
I agree with you, but here's the thing:

1) The official Volvo dealer says the D4 engine needs power on highways and that Eco mode only "chokes" it. Plus it can do the damage to DFP filter.

2) I'm pretty sure too about the suspension height and documentation, but as I said, this is not the first time I read that FourC suspension lowers the vehicle height in Eco mode. Would like to know for sure.

On the other hand, I'm leaning toward trusting the official Volvo service a bit more than "some Internet forums" :P
There is a simple way to check if you have air suspension. Shine a torch in the space above either front wheel. If you can see the bottom end of a steel coil spring you have conventional suspension which is impossible to adjust for height. Please report back.

F32B2DA6-A739-4B99-9A08-596609ED0002.jpeg

ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Boxybutgood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:51 am
ropetko wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 am
pjm007 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 pm 1) I can’t believe that ECO mode shouldn’t be used on highways. Makes no sense at all. Personal choice.

2) Pretty sure that our 4-C on the XC40 does not vary the suspension height. Only stiffness. Anything we see printed about that in XC40 literature is probably a mistake just copied and pasted from XC60 or XC90 air suspension documentation
I agree with you, but here's the thing:

1) The official Volvo dealer says the D4 engine needs power on highways and that Eco mode only "chokes" it. Plus it can do the damage to DFP filter.

2) I'm pretty sure too about the suspension height and documentation, but as I said, this is not the first time I read that FourC suspension lowers the vehicle height in Eco mode. Would like to know for sure.

On the other hand, I'm leaning toward trusting the official Volvo service a bit more than "some Internet forums" :P
There is a simple way to check if you have air suspension. Shine a torch in the space above either front wheel. If you can see the bottom end of a steel coil spring you have conventional suspension which is impossible to adjust for height. Please report back.
I did check the suspension today, when I was washing my car. I don't see the bottom "plate" of suspension spring.
UPDATE: I didn't see the attached photo so apparently I was looking for the wrong thing. I DO see the bottom end of a steel coil, like at the picture. S, I do have a conventional suspension. Is that still FourC?

Also, I took a 100 miles trip today (up the mountains, down the mountains, valley, 90% highway) the same one I usually take. Each time i go that way I tend to drive with different speed on Pilot Assist, so that I can correlate the speed with consumption. Last time I drove:
- up the hills at 72 mph (115 km/h)
- down the hills at 75 mph (120 km/h)
- valley at 78 mph (125 km/h)
After 100 miles (some 165 km) my VOC app said the consumption was 34 mpg (6,9 l/100km)
Today I took the exact trip with the exact speed, but once I got up the hill I switched to Eco, so I drove down the hill and on the flat with Eco mode on. By the end of my journey, the VOC app said the consumption was 34,6 mpg (6,8 l/100km).
As far as I can see, Eco mode on highway didn't make such a difference (34 mpg vs. 34,6). OK, coasting was usually on during downhill ride, but in such situations I usually lift the foot off the accelerator, so the consumption in that case (when the engine is actually braking) is 0 (less than while coasting).
I'm not sure there's a real reason for me to use Eco on highway, although I've been using it most of the time (not on highways).
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018