Practical size/use for XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

iknowgungfu wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 pm Hi all,

New to the forum as considering purchasing an XC40. We are a family of 4 (6yr old and 4 yr old) and I'm trying to get an impression on size of the car for things like Holidays (remember them?).

Currently have a Skoda Octavia which has lots of boot space. Just wondering how the XC40 would compare? I'm expecting that it would be a bit smaller given the different style of car. However, I would be grateful for feedback from actual owners.

Online reviews dont seem to consider storage in boot or car an issue. We are well past the age of prams etc. So it is more for packing the luggage and other paraphernalia slightly older children come with! I'm assuming I would be using a roof box for holidays (currently have one I can fit to the Skoda). Other than that I'm assuming for general use it's fine too.

Thanks in advance.
Well first of all, I can’t think of any car that can beat Škoda Octavia for the cargo space! :) So you’ll be disappointed with almost any car.
I used to have a “small” Peugeot 207 SW that actually has a pretty big booth and this Christmas we went to the market with our fresh XC40 D4 to pick up the Christmas tree, like we do every year. Although XC40 has bigger booth, my impression is that the booth space is shorter, and I’m talking about rear seats lowered. It is possible that is shorter, because all passengers have more leg space in XC40 then in smaller cars, the car is pretty wide so you don’t loose much cargo space by shortening the booth.
Go and buy yourself a XC40 and I’ll tell you why. First of all, you want your whole family to be safe, right? Well, that’s the main reason for all fathers to think about getting a Volvo. And we can’t be more right ;)
Second, the older your kids get, the less toys and accessories you’ll need to put in the car when going on a trip (especially holidays). In 5 years time, your son will “hate” going with you anywhere and all he would like to have is an iPad and a football ⚽️
Really, you’ll have less items that can float around and more suitcases, which fits perfectly in XC40, thanks for asking.
Come back here in a few months and let us know how comfortable and enjoyable it is to drive the beauty. Enjoy! ;)
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018

iknowgungfu

Post by iknowgungfu »

Cheers. Everyone's feedback has been very useful. Take your points on board as I never expected boot to be comparable but wanted to gauge if the average family would be fine. We already have less need for toys etc with our 6 and soon to be 4 year old.
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

We once took our toddler twin boys, complete with twin pram and all the usual holiday items to the south of France from north England. In a Fiat Uno; no top box or trailer involved.

I think a Volvo XC40 will be just fine 🙂.
iknowgungfu

Post by iknowgungfu »

Picked up one today. Bursting blue, B4 R Design Pro. Lovely so far but a lot has changed in cars since I last bought one.