Servicing - costs and timing

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Norton wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm "Roadside Assistance is offered free of charge providing the car has been serviced regularly at an authorised Volvo workshop."
https://www.volvocars.com/mt/support/ma ... bscription

Remember that if you get your service done at somewhere other than an authorised Volvo workshop you won't be able to use Volvo On Call's energency roadside assistance.

But you can always pay for Volvo roadside assistance, which is currently £119/annum.

Alternatively use the AA or RAC, or as I do and use AutoAid, currently £60/annum.

Servicing by a 3rd party, not Volvo, may offset the cost of the £119. It will certainly offset the £60

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

mr.vladis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:19 am
DanishPastry wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 am Interesting, thanks.

The Volvo On-call app says my 1-year service will cost £310 if I book at my local West London dealer.
The proposed service plan budgets it at £333
The pleasant and helpful person I spoke to at the dealership told me that without a service plan I should expect to pay £350 - £380

But one has to get the stamps in the book to keep the warrenty alive, so I'll just shut up and pay up.
You don't need to go to the dealer to get stamps and keep you warranty.
That's true. However you probably won't get software updates without the vehicles going in to a Volvo centre or approved repairer. Given that so much of the cars and the things we seem to moan about are often fixed by software updates...this will become increasingly more important.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Any safety critical software updates, such as last year's brake recall, would be recalls and offered free.

Anything else I suspect would be classed as "nice to haves".

I haven't noticed any difference with any of the software updates I've experienced, and that includes last year's recall.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Reading this makes me realise what a bargain the service packs are with new cars. So glad I took one out.
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Salmonfisher wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:18 pm Reading this makes me realise what a bargain the service packs are with new cars. So glad I took one out.
Agree. I bought the 5 years for £599.

However it's still a rip off to some extent. Services ain't what they used to be. You're lucky to get an oil change these days for your £120/year.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I had an Ad Blu top up and full valet included at no cost in my service plan first service which all helps
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

blastpipe wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:27 pm
mr.vladis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:19 am
DanishPastry wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 am Interesting, thanks.

The Volvo On-call app says my 1-year service will cost £310 if I book at my local West London dealer.
The proposed service plan budgets it at £333
The pleasant and helpful person I spoke to at the dealership told me that without a service plan I should expect to pay £350 - £380

But one has to get the stamps in the book to keep the warrenty alive, so I'll just shut up and pay up.
You don't need to go to the dealer to get stamps and keep you warranty.
That's true. However you probably won't get software updates without the vehicles going in to a Volvo centre or approved repairer. Given that so much of the cars and the things we seem to moan about are often fixed by software updates...this will become increasingly more important.
You may not get it for free in approved garage, but cost may still be lover in total.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Just had service 4 carried out here in France (67,000 KMS / 41,600 miles)- it appeared to be a fixed price - 499 euros - Approximately 422 pounds. Not bad to be honest for the main dealer in the city near to where i live. It included Engine oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter. I paid an additional 50 pounds for brake fluid change.
My upsetting cost was a replacement motor for the drivers door mirror (it had stopped moving up and down) - cost including labour was approx. 178 pounds.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

XC40Warwick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:45 pm Just had service 4 carried out here in France (67,000 KMS / 41,600 miles)- it appeared to be a fixed price - 499 euros - Approximately 422 pounds. Not bad to be honest for the main dealer in the city near to where i live. It included Engine oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter. I paid an additional 50 pounds for brake fluid change.
The cost of brake fluid change was not included in the €499 4th year service pack? Volvo requires brake fluid change every 2 years, I would expect that cost to be included in the €499 fixed price, same as other mandatory changes (oil, filters, etc.)
lovelyvolvo

Post by lovelyvolvo »

Rather naughtily the Volvo UK service plan terms appear to exclude brake fluid changes. Not good for a brand which has built a reputation on safety.

Extract below:

What is not covered?
Anything not included within the official Volvo scheduled servicing for your vehicle, for example, any extra maintenance work or adjustments. The replacement of Brake Fluid and Coolant as well as the top up of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Ad-Blue) is also excluded.