Servicing - costs and timing

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

eugen61 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:14 pm
The cost of brake fluid change was not included in the €499 4th year service pack? Volvo requires brake fluid change every 2 years, I would expect that cost to be included in the €499 fixed price, same as other mandatory changes (oil, filters, etc.)
That is interesting as this was the first time a Volvo dealer had recommended the brake fluid change - the car is now 3.5 years old.
My previous cars have also not included brake fluid change as part of a service 'pack' - There has always been lots of discussion regarding brake fluid change/cost/are we being ripped off.
My OH has a Citroen here in France and the garage only did the brake fluid in year two as he pointed out the manufacturer would insist for the warranty - he went on to say that as the OH does so little mileage, not to bother every two years and perhaps after warranty expires, do it every four years.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I find the dealership remark about milage surprising. It's age that is relevant to Brake Fluid changes as it absorbs moisture that degrades its performance. The moisture, given time, will also corrode the Brake component internals.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

XC40Warwick wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:21 am
eugen61 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:14 pm
The cost of brake fluid change was not included in the €499 4th year service pack? Volvo requires brake fluid change every 2 years, I would expect that cost to be included in the €499 fixed price, same as other mandatory changes (oil, filters, etc.)
That is interesting as this was the first time a Volvo dealer had recommended the brake fluid change - the car is now 3.5 years old.
My previous cars have also not included brake fluid change as part of a service 'pack' - There has always been lots of discussion regarding brake fluid change/cost/are we being ripped off.
My OH has a Citroen here in France and the garage only did the brake fluid in year two as he pointed out the manufacturer would insist for the warranty - he went on to say that as the OH does so little mileage, not to bother every two years and perhaps after warranty expires, do it every four years.
Volvo quoted me the same reason as Citroen did in your case, brake fluid change every 2 years is mandatory for not voiding warranty. Very strange your Volvo dealer didn’t change the brake fluid at the time of your 2nd year maintenance service.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:49 am
Volvo quoted me the same reason as Citroen did in your case, brake fluid change every 2 years is mandatory for not voiding warranty. Very strange your Volvo dealer didn’t change the brake fluid at the time of your 2nd year maintenance service.
Just checked my year 2 invoice - definitely no brake fluid change on it.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I bought myself a little brake fluid moisture tester after a Vauxhall Main Agent tried to change the mother in laws brake fluid after 300 miles and 12 months. Did not cost much probably less than the unnecessary fluid change !!
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

My local (non-Volvo) garage test brake fluid at every service, and only replaces when necessary. from memory, my wife's Fiat has only had one change in 8 years.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Said this before, brake-fluid should be checked for moisture content before its changed, changing without checking is in my opinion just a money generating con - yes brake fluid is a vital safety item - but to just change it when it only takes a few seconds to check it needs changing is such a waste of material and money???