Washer fluid lifespan?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Two and a half months ago I purchased the used 2018 XC40 D40 AWD R-Design from an authorised Volvo dealer. I'm mostly satisfied with her, it's a great car. It still has some perks which I can live with, but a month ago while I was driving towards the city where that dealer is I noticed the "Washer Fluid low" alert at the central screen. I was a bit frustrated because obviously those guys at the dealer's didn't fill the washer fluid reservoir before they sold me the car, but OK. I went there, bought a couple of Volvo washer fluid concentrate bottles, sipped one in along with 3 liters of distilled water (I have a headlamp washing option, so the reservoir takes up to 5.5 liters of liquid) and it was all good.
Two days ago I got the same message again. Refill your washer fluid again, Mister! So today it took 1 litre of concentrate and almost 4 liters of water to fill it up again. Only a month after I put more than 4 liters of washing fluid in that same reservoir!

What are you experiences with washing fluid at XC40 with headlamp washers? Is it OK for a car to spend 5 liters of washing fluid in a month (approx. 1000 km or 600 mi) during winter time? I used to fill my old Peugeot with 3 liters of washer liquid every 6 months and I didn't change my "washing behaviour" with Volvo. Could it be that washing fluid has been used a lot on headlamp washers because I mostly have rain sensor on?

What's your washing fluid refill interval on a car with headlamp washers, especially XC40?
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Headlamps washer has no connection with rain sensor being on or off, but with headlamp switch being set on AUTO. On AUTO dipped lights will turn on during use of windscreen wipers and each time washer fluid is used on the windscreen, headlamps might also be washed. According to the user manual: “To save fluid, the headlamps are washed automatically at a defined interval when the headlamps are switched on. If only approx. 1 litre of washer fluid remains in the reservoir and the message Washer fluid Level low-refill, then the supply of washer fluid to the headlamps is switched off. This is to prioritise cleaning the windscreen and the visibility through it. The headlamps are only washed if main or dipped beam is switched on”

During daytime winter driving when roads are covered with anti slippery chemicals that leave white residue on windscreen requiring endless washing-wiping, I’m used to turning headlamps switch to OFF leaving only Thor-Hammer LED daylights on with no headlights washing. Otherwise, I find myself also using 5 liters of washing fluid per 1000 km.
The voice of raisin

Post by The voice of raisin »

Please bear in mind that with light switch set to OFF the DLR lights will be FRONT lights only.

If you switch the light switch to the "sidelight" symbol you will get front DLR lights plus the added benefit of rear lights as well. It gives you a little rear safety, again without activating the excessive wash of the front lights.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The voice of raisin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am Please bear in mind that with light switch set to OFF the DLR lights will be FRONT lights only.

If you switch the light switch to the "sidelight" symbol you will get front DLR lights plus the added benefit of rear lights as well. It gives you a little rear safety, again without activating the excessive wash of the front lights.
Excellent point, thanks for sharing, I will use your recommendation from now on.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Mine was leaking at one of the joints. Fixed by the dealer.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

That does sound excessive consumption of washer fluid. Like the post above I'd check for leaks.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

My new XC40 flashed up the warning sign after two months of ownership, took over four litres to fill it. I can only assume that the dealer didn't check and top it during the PDI. Looked for leaks but can't see any.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

It does seem excessive, but in this weather it depends just how often you wash your screen. I'm waiting on my XC40 so this is based on my Tiguan, also with headlamp washers and around a 5 litre tank. It too jets the headlights every 1 in 5 screenwashes , it does do a long jet on the headlamps, so sometimes i'll switch the lights off before doing the screen. Some days whilst driving i'm constantly having to rewash the screen as the chemicals on the road leave a white residue. Driving a lot and washing a lot, having to top up once a month i can believe. Otherwise, check you don't gave a leak whilst washing.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Thank you all! I'll check for leaks, but looks like for some XC40 engines with headlamp washers 4-5 liters in 1000 km is normal :/
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018