Driving Modes

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

I’ve set up the Individual driving mode on my XC40 with my preferred settings. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have the Individual mode set as default when the car is started?
XC40 B4 Inscription Pro
Onyx Black
Oxide Red Leather
Driver Assist Package
Versatility Pack
Power Boot
Tempa Spare Wheel
Smart Phone Intergration
Harman Kardon

Norton

Post by Norton »

When the vehicle starts it is always in Comfort mode. You cannot set a different mode as the default on starting the vehicle.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:36 pm I’ve set up the Individual driving mode on my XC40 with my preferred settings. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have the Individual mode set as default when the car is started?
No it's not..well not within the EU. Why - because the emissions and performance are calculated at the preset driving mode. Therefore this mode has to be the default EVERY time you start the car.

The manual states that "Comfort mode....This drive mode is the certification mode for carbon dioxide emissions"
Last edited by blastpipe on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Juan Portion

Post by Juan Portion »

I just drive on comfort mode, occasionally dynamic.

I've tried individual but try as I might I can't tell the difference between all the various settings apart from the gear change aspect.

Comforts good enough for me if it were the only mode.

Nice to mimic an attempt at good manual gear change with dynamic mode sometimes, but it's not really there for me.

Think I'll get a manual shift next time.
DrSaint

Post by DrSaint »

Interesting that you should say that. When planning to buy I originally thought I'd continue with manual diesel but didn't find it satisfying. I tried petrol auto and diesel auto and was feeling quite disappointed. The sales person suggested petrol manual and I somewhat reluctantly gave it a go. Something just clicked and I'm now driving a T3 manual (when not locked down ☹️) . So far I am thoroughly enjoying it and am impressed with its 3 cylinder 1.5 L performance.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Regarding driving modes, can some of you tell me in which cases it is advisable to use the ECO mode? Is it better to use it while driving through the city traffic, while cruising on local roads or while driving 60-80 mph on highways? During winter time? During summer time? Up the hills? Downhill?
A Volvo dealer told me it is not advisable to use ECO mode while on highway with my D4 AWD because the engine cannot clear itself properly (whatever that means, although I suppose he was referring to the diesel filter). I prefer the Eco mode most of the time (although I love Dynamic on mountain roads) but I'm not sure when and where to use it and I don't want to harm the engine.

Any advice or experience is appreciated, thank you.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
The voice of raisin

Post by The voice of raisin »

ropetko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 am Regarding driving modes, can some of you tell me in which cases it is advisable to use the ECO mode? Is it better to use it while driving through the city traffic, while cruising on local roads or while driving 60-80 mph on highways? During winter time? During summer time? Up the hills? Downhill?
A Volvo dealer told me it is not advisable to use ECO mode while on highway with my D4 AWD because the engine cannot clear itself properly (whatever that means, although I suppose he was referring to the diesel filter). I prefer the Eco mode most of the time (although I love Dynamic on mountain roads) but I'm not sure when and where to use it and I don't want to harm the engine.

If you are of a certain age and and experienced in driving a car such as a 1970's Vauxhall Chevette then that's when I'd use Eco in the XC40. You won't notice much difference in performance and you'll be quite happy.
The voice of raisin

Post by The voice of raisin »

In all seriousness I'd tend to use eco in motorway/good clear A roads at decent speeds, say 50 to 70 mph. You'll get most benefit when in the eco coasting mode, so long downhill stretches.

The eco mode is the direct opposite of dynamic, so the car will tend to change gear more quickly and engage higher gears sooner. It also has the benefit of its coasting function. If you take your foot off the accelerator when going downhill the car will coast with its revs going right down. It's like driving a manual car with the gear in neutral or pressing your foot on the clutch.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

ropetko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 am Regarding driving modes, can some of you tell me in which cases it is advisable to use the ECO mode? Is it better to use it while driving through the city traffic, while cruising on local roads or while driving 60-80 mph on highways? During winter time? During summer time? Up the hills? Downhill?

Diesels have a particulate filter that catches the fine carbon particles. Every so often the engine will run faster and hotter to burn off these particles and turn them to ash. You may or may not notice this, but you may notice the fan occasionally running on after switching off.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

[/quote]

Diesels have a particulate filter that catches the fine carbon particles. Every so often the engine will run faster and hotter to burn off these particles and turn them to ash. You may or may not notice this, but you may notice the fan occasionally running on after switching off.
[/quote]

I have a D4 and last year had an 'oil overfilled' warning. The garage dealt with it as it turned out to be due to the DPF regeneration failing a few times and when that happens the small amount of fuel it uses gets dumped into the sump. My dealer ended up having to do an oil and filter change along with a software update so that the oil level is less than originally specified.
My advice would be if you can hear (and smell in my case - very hot engine smell) the car doing a DPF regen, don't switch off until the engine cooling fans have stopped and the smell has gone.
It's a great shame Volvo can't have some kind of indicator that a DPF regen is happening so that you do not turn off until its completed.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA