seat quality

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hamishxc40

Post by hamishxc40 »

Hi guys, first time poster but been reading the forum since I ordered my first ever Volvo in September collected just before Xmas (T3 xc40 r design in glacier silver)

Went for this car for a number of reasons including volvos reputation of having comfy, high quality seats.

Since I picked the car up I've only done a few hundred miles but don't find the seats comfy at all. The foam seems thin and not overly supportive to the point I can feel the metal frame at the back of my thighs. The leather on the bolsters are also incredibly soft and "delicate" to the point they look like they are creasing already. Am I the only one who is having this issue?

I did test drive the dealers show car before ordering and that all seemed fine.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Last edited by eugen61 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

hamishxc40 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm The foam seems thin and not overly supportive to the point I can feel the metal frame at the back of my thighs. The leather on the bolsters are also incredibly soft and "delicate" to the point they look like they are creasing already. Am I the only one who is having this issue?
Read this post on the same topic, maybe it’ll help: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2474&p=21694#p21694
hamishxc40

Post by hamishxc40 »

Thanks.. exactly the problem I am having.

If a mod sees this thread please feel free to delete it
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

@hamishxc40. Hi there. I was due to take mine back in for this as, if you press lightly on the seat pad, you can feel the solid plate underneath with practically no force at all. However, the appointment was postponed.
I will still take it in at the earliest opportunity but I know what the answer will be.
It seems to be associated with the knee extension as I’m fairly sure that the Inscription does not have this plate.
I drove one for a few days and did not notice anything at all.
also, I did the same as you and ordered, partly knowing the reputation of the seat comfort. I’ve owned some big comfy saloons over the years and expected the same or better.
This was a bit of a shock.
I’d suggest you take it back.
Either the plate is positioned wrong, maybe on a particular batch, or the seat pad is way to thin.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
JMR

Post by JMR »

Hi, I posted on this subject a while back - it's been a real problem. The seats are simply not good enough. You can feel lumps in the seat rear (later identified by the dealer as heated seat connectors) and under the drivers seat, a solid lump of metal can be felt through the very thin padding. The car has been back to the dealer who, after much discussion, took all the seats out and over several days, made deeper cut outs into the foam and repositioned each heated seat connector further into the foam. A small layer of foam was then positioned over each connector, after the seat foam was also shaved back a tad. It's worked reasonably well on the rear seats and passenger seat is also improved, but they are having the car back to try the drivers seat again. As far as the metal lump under the drivers seat cushion goes, I agree with the earlier post, if you carefully angle the seat, you can significantly minimise this. It's such a shame for these issues to manifest in a well thought of car - odd that none of the numerous positive media reviews have not picked this up. More seriously, what is Volvo doing to sort it - it seems that my dealer is doing all they can.
R-Design T3 Auto FWD + Climate, Versatility, Power Seats & Park Assist. October 2020.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I entirely agree with you. I have a 2018 D3R and the seats, especially the side bolsters, do not seem to have enough padding in them. I had the drivers side bolster apparently replaced after a couple of months, but it hasn't made any difference.