Plastic scratch removal...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

So now that I’ve had a day to go over the car in more detail, I’ve noticed a couple of very minor scratches on the angled clear plastic cover in front of the instrument cluster.
The only thing that I can think of is that the delivery driver did it while photographing the mileage before handover, although I can’t be sure.
Can anyone recommend something for polishing them out?
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021

Crystal Tipps

Post by Crystal Tipps »

I would think that if the scratches are big enough to bother you I'd take it back to the dealer to sort out.

You shouldn't be expected to carry this out yourself.
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Crystal Tipps wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:38 pm I would think that if the scratches are big enough to bother you I'd take it back to the dealer to sort out.

You shouldn't be expected to carry this out yourself.
The scratches were at the top middle of the plastic instrument cover directly in front of where the parking brake symbol is.
Although they were not very big, they were noticeable every time I started the car.
Since the dealer is 100 miles away and the current lockdown situation is not in favour of the journey for something relatively minor, I decided to try and sort the issue myself.
So I bought some Plast-RX and after 4 applications the scratches are no longer visible to me.
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021
Perky

Post by Perky »

I have the same problem but only noticed it two months after taking the delivery of the car so taking it back to the dealership was not an option. I have left it for now. Once the car gets older (when I don't care as much), I will use a T-Cut and polish to remove it.
T4 AWD Oct 2019