Auto Dipping Door Mirror - Adjustment

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MyIronLung

Post by MyIronLung »

I have activated the auto-dipping of the passenger door mirror when selecting reverse but for me, it dips too far down. How do you adjust the amount that the mirror dips when selecting reverse? Any idea?
—————————————————————————-
21MY XC40 2.0 B4 FWD INSCRIPTION PRO FUSION RED

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

From the owners manual

Automatic angling during parking3 With this setting, the door mirror is automatically angled down when reverse gear is selected. The folded position is preset and cannot be adjusted.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
MyIronLung

Post by MyIronLung »

Thanks Chris. Didn't know that.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

In passing, I was sad to discover that the door mirror auto-dipping (kerb-view) is only available with the 'Power Driver Seat with Memory for Seat and Mirrors' option (standard on everything except Momentum and R-Design).

I suppose it can't change to show the kerb if you haven't paid for it to remember where it should come back to afterwards.

I can still use the manual adjustment to angle the mirror down (and back up afterwards), but a bit of a pain. In practice, the 360 degree camera view (which I do have!) is more than good enough to park close to the kerb, so don't miss the auto-mirror-dipping.
MY2020 R-Design
Slide Ways

Post by Slide Ways »

I don't have the auto-dipping mirrors when reverse is engaged.

But in practice/reality I've found I don't need to view a great expanse of sky when I look at the passenger door mirror. I've angled the passenger door mirror down so next to no sky is visible. This angle is good for driving but also works for reversing without needing to manually alter the angle. For reversing just a slight rise of the body in the seat is all that's required to see the kerb line and safely reverse.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I have the dipping mirror but on all my previous cars didn't and like you managed fine by angleing the mirror down enough to see the kerb but still give a rearward view. Only time I found it too low was on infrequent motorway journeys when I angled it up a bit more.

I also find that the mirror dips too much for reversing when not against a kerb.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
MyIronLung

Post by MyIronLung »

For me, I kind of like the feature but the fact it dips down way too far is a bit frustrating. The VW Tiguan approach worked well - Engage reverse. Mirror dips. Adjust it to where you want it. Disengage reverse. Mirror lifts up. Job done. Next time reverse is selected, it dips to where I set it. This is also on a car without electric/memory seats too.

A possible workaround - Select seat memory position 2 for reversing with exactly the same settings as position 1 other than the passenger mirror angle. Only works of course if you are the only driver!