Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:15 pm I think Vodafone are missing a trick here. They should be more flexible in their approach. Internet in the car is the future.
No single mobile operator will be able to guarantee 100% network coverage. The flexible solution is national roaming agreements, where one operator’s SIM can connect to other operator’s network. International roaming is well established and Volvo used it with the embedded SIM that connects to the best available network in any country. But in case of VOC we are taking about small amounts of data usage that made it affordable for Volvo to take over the international data roaming costs for the duration of the VOC service subscription. Larger amounts of data traffic have much higher cost in international roaming and that’s the reason why we still need an additional SIM on our own expense to fully enjoy online streaming and map downloads on Sensus.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:15 pm I think Vodafone are missing a trick here. They should be more flexible in their approach. Internet in the car is the future.
No single mobile operator will be able to guarantee 100% network coverage. The flexible solution is national roaming agreements, where one operator’s SIM can connect to other operator’s network. International roaming is well established and Volvo used it with the embedded SIM that connects to the best available network in any country. But in case of VOC we are taking about small amounts of data usage that made it affordable for Volvo to take over the international data roaming costs for the duration of the VOC service subscription. Larger amounts of data traffic have much higher cost in international roaming and that’s the reason why we still need an additional SIM on our own expense to fully enjoy online streaming and map downloads on Sensus.
Interesting. But what I meant by flexibility was to give the customer what they want. If 3 can do 24GB for 2 years, why can’t Vodafone. When my free sim deal ended, I’d used about 3GB of data. Even without lockdown, I’d never have ever used so much data. I called Vodafone, they can offer nothing that suits low data users. The one year 100GB deal is the only deal within their range that lasts a year. The technology exists whereby you can put a bomb through a window in Baghdad but you can’t offer customers data other than a massive 100GB that last a year.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Terms and Condiments

Post by Terms and Condiments »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Interesting. But what I meant by flexibility was to give the customer what they want. If 3 can do 24GB for 2 years, why can’t Vodafone. When my free sim deal ended, I’d used about 3GB of data. Even without lockdown, I’d never have ever used so much data. I called Vodafone, they can offer nothing that suits low data users. The one year 100GB deal is the deal within their range that lasts a year. The technology exists wherever you can put a bomb through a window in Baghdad but you can’t offer customers data other than a massive 100GB that last a year.
Vodafone offer a variety of data only SIMs. The best for low data is the 8Gb per month for £10 per month. So that's £120 for a year for 96 Gb. The best one is the 3 Network 24Gb/2 years. Not so good if you're not well served by 3 but there's not too many of those spots. As soon as you move off your drive you'll probably be ok. £24 is a lot better than £96 and all you'll lose is the 1st world issue of not being able to start your car!

If I were you and really wanted the option of starting up my car for 15 minutes by an App I'd stick my hand in my pocket and cough up for vodafone.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Terms and Condiments wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Interesting. But what I meant by flexibility was to give the customer what they want. If 3 can do 24GB for 2 years, why can’t Vodafone. When my free sim deal ended, I’d used about 3GB of data. Even without lockdown, I’d never have ever used so much data. I called Vodafone, they can offer nothing that suits low data users. The one year 100GB deal is the deal within their range that lasts a year. The technology exists wherever you can put a bomb through a window in Baghdad but you can’t offer customers data other than a massive 100GB that last a year.
Vodafone offer a variety of data only SIMs. The best for low data is the 8Gb per month for £10 per month. So that's £120 for a year for 96 Gb. The best one is the 3 Network 24Gb/2 years. Not so good if you're not well served by 3 but there's not too many of those spots. As soon as you move off your drive you'll probably be ok. £24 is a lot better than £96 and all you'll lose is the 1st world issue of not being able to start your car!

If I were you and really wanted the option of starting up my car for 15 minutes by an App I'd stick my hand in my pocket and cough up for vodafone.
Yep, the thought had crossed my mind about changing back to Vodafone. It’s not a problem at the moment but it was a godsend in December, January and February.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:53 pm
Yep, the thought had crossed my mind about changing back to Vodafone. It’s not a problem at the moment but it was a godsend in December, January and February.
There are many other options other than Vodafone and Three.

Check out come of the MVNOs such as Tesco or GiffGaff. There are only a handful of networks in the UK (Vodafone, O2, Three and BT) so all other networks will run over on of these and some have much better deals than others.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

m@rk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:28 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:53 pm
There are many other options other than Vodafone and Three.

Check out come of the MVNOs such as Tesco or GiffGaff. There are only a handful of networks in the UK (Vodafone, O2, Three and BT) so all other networks will run over on of these and some have much better deals than others.
Thanks. I will suck it and see. The annoying thing is that the Vodafone sim gave me exactly what I what wanted.