Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
black_country

Post by black_country »

I think the car reconnects every time the engine / ignition starts. The globe appears on mine after about 30 secs and the no connection message disappears.

Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Yes the appearance of the globe can take some time. Much longer it seems to me than 30 seconds.

If I'm feeling lazy and against the planet, or it's pouring down with rain I'll sometimes drive to the local shop. It's about a mile away. Many times I turn on the car, start Spotify, and Spotify connects and starts to play just as I'm parking up in the car park. Useless for short journeys, I tend to use DAB or the USB player for short journeys.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Shed Load wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:53 pm Yes the appearance of the globe can take some time. Much longer it seems to me than 30 seconds.

If I'm feeling lazy and against the planet, or it's pouring down with rain I'll sometimes drive to the local shop. It's about a mile away. Many times I turn on the car, start Spotify, and Spotify connects and starts to play just as I'm parking up in the car park. Useless for short journeys, I tend to use DAB or the USB player for short journeys.
That's exactly why I use Spotify and TuneIn for long journeys only! It takes more than 30 seconds for the car to activate those services and connect to the Internet and I don't think the Internet connection is to blame but the waaaaaay too slow Sensus (processor?) Sometimes it's more convenient for me to start Spotify on my iPhone and to listen to it via Bluetooth (although the sound quality is poor this way and I'd rather wait for Sensus Spotify to wake up).
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm It takes more than 30 seconds for the car to activate those services and connect to the Internet and I don't think the Internet connection is to blame but the waaaaaay too slow Sensus (processor?)
It’s the modem that takes 30 seconds to activate and this is normal. It takes even longer to restart your internet modem at home or restart you mobile phone, the same principle applies for the 4G/LTE modem in the car...
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

eugen61 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:50 am
ropetko wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm It takes more than 30 seconds for the car to activate those services and connect to the Internet and I don't think the Internet connection is to blame but the waaaaaay too slow Sensus (processor?)
It’s the modem that takes 30 seconds to activate and this is normal. It takes even longer to restart your internet modem at home or restart you mobile phone, the same principle applies for the 4G/LTE modem in the car...
And yet my smartphone can do the same connection within 10 secs. From switch on the power button to browsing the 4g Internet takes less than 10 seconds. And that includes entering a 4 digit PIN.

How much would it cost to use the same tech in the car. Pence I would presume.

In my T4 the internet connection takes a lot longer than 30 seconds. I'm talking of a couple of minutes at least.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Shed Load wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 am
And yet my smartphone can do the same connection within 10 secs. From switch on the power button to browsing the 4g Internet takes less than 10 seconds. And that includes entering a 4 digit PIN.

In my T4 the internet connection takes a lot longer than 30 seconds. I'm talking of a couple of minutes at least.

Isn't the smart phone already on but in screen standby? What about if you shut it down, then start from scratch, how long then for the phone?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Felindre wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:33 am

Isn't the smart phone already on but in screen standby? What about if you shut it down, then start from scratch, how long then for the phone?
That was the way I did the test.

Complete shutdown. Then power on, and start counting. Enter 4 digit PIN, open Chrome, Browse to a new page - about 9 seconds.

Fair enough it's a Google Pixel phone but it is 3 years old.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I’m getting similar results after listening to the FM radio and then switching to Spotify. The car was already online because of the WiFi hotspot yet I have to wait for a much longer time than when I do the similar task on my iPhone.
But that’s not a game changer, I still prefer Spotify on Sensus compared to Spotify on iPhone via Bluetooth while driving. The proper way would be to use CarPlay, but it’s annoying to looking for the lightning cable while driving (I have wireless charger so I’m actually waiting for a wireless CarPlay to arrive).
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I would like to correct myself here. Today I started the car and after two minutes I was tyred of waiting for TuneIn to start (there was no globe either) so I switched to FM. During the next ride, after some 5 minutes of driving I switched from FM to TuneIn. It took exactly 15 seconds for the music to start (ok, it was 96 kbps AAC stream). Acceptable :)

UPDATE: did a quick re-parking of my car and used a stopwatch. It took exactly 54 seconds from the engine start to TuneIn sound appearance.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

This is exactly the argument for things like Apples CarPlay and Android Auto where instead of the car manufacturers investing millions in ICE design, the car just utilises the phones capabilities.

As a regular user of hire cars when travelling abroad on business (well pre COVID anyway), being able to have the same interface with the same navigation and all my addresses stored is brilliant.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde