Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Since my car was delivered today, there was no handover as such.
I had to call the dealer to get instructions on how to set the SIM up.

We got to a point where the globe icon appears, I can use the car as a hotspot (which works correctly) but I cannot access the Volvo download centre to download any apps.
I’m just getting the message “No connection to service”.

The dealer have been absolute s**t.
They have just been referring to a .pdf reference guide and have now washed their hands of the problem.
Their advice is that I need to take it to a local dealer for them to sort it out.

Can anyone help?
I don’t really want to have to book it in after having it less than a day.
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021

JohnE

Post by JohnE »

JohnE wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm Since my car was delivered today, there was no handover as such.
I had to call the dealer to get instructions on how to set the SIM up.

We got to a point where the globe icon appears, I can use the car as a hotspot (which works correctly) but I cannot access the Volvo download centre to download any apps.
I’m just getting the message “No connection to service”.

The dealer have been absolute s**t.
They have just been referring to a .pdf reference guide and have now washed their hands of the problem.
Their advice is that I need to take it to a local dealer for them to sort it out.

Can anyone help?
I don’t really want to have to book it in after having it less than a day.

I decided to check one more time before booking the car into my local dealer, and as if by magic all is working today.
I turned the car on to see "No updates available" instead of "No connection to service".
There were a full list of apps available, and i managed to download the Volvo On Call app with no problems at all.
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021
black_country

Post by black_country »

Ok so having owned the car for 6 months I found out only last week that the car has its own sim card, as a result I’ve spent the last week armed with a 4 digit pin no and absolutely no help from the dealer trying to get my globe to spin without any success. Does it spin or just hang there?
I’m sure all this type of stuff would have normally been explained to me on collection but I picked the car up after the first lockdown and was basically chucked the keys and told to p*ss off.
Has anyone done a definitive guide to connect the sim, the vid on youtube isn’t helping I tick the box’s it says but sadly no globe..
…So that was lunch time and I thought I’d have one more go while waiting for a call back from volvo [again] and posting.
I now have a message saying the sim card is locked because of to many incorrect attempts.. :(
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

black_country wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:33 pm Ok so having owned the car for 6 months I found out only last week that the car has its own sim card, as a result I’ve spent the last week armed with a 4 digit pin no and absolutely no help from the dealer trying to get my globe to spin without any success. Does it spin or just hang there?
I’m sure all this type of stuff would have normally been explained to me on collection but I picked the car up after the first lockdown and was basically chucked the keys and told to p*ss off.
Has anyone done a definitive guide to connect the sim, the vid on youtube isn’t helping I tick the box’s it says but sadly no globe..
…So that was lunch time and I thought I’d have one more go while waiting for a call back from volvo [again] and posting.
I now have a message saying the sim card is locked because of to many incorrect attempts.. :(
I got these instructions from my local dealer’s tech expert. They didn’t work exactly 100% but we’re enough to get the job done. 🤞for you.

393B5CE9-C000-4595-B3E5-F910146322B2.jpeg

F940059A-F4A7-4441-B451-1EAA2CB099EA.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
black_country

Post by black_country »

Thanks for the info. It never occurred to me I would have to create an account, I presumed since I had been issued a pin no. this would just activate it.
Cheers.
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

i have the same problem as black country (with is username possibly not far from me)
please excuse me if i sound a bit muddled but i am not technically minded with internet etc
i had the same instructions sent to me from my dealer
to cut a long story short we have both entered the pin code to many times therefore we now need the puk code to unblock which i believe would be unavailable as it would have probably been discarded by the dealer when they fitted the sim.
on following the instructions given i followed the last paragraph TIP.but when you press the back button to go into car modem a box appears saying you are going to go out of bluetooth mode press yes or no,press yes and the globe light goes out.back to sqaure one.
i think in our instance the easy solution would be to have the dealer supply a new sim or for us to purchase our own.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I suspect that might be your best bet melvinharford. The whole process is far too complex. I am an ex IT man and quite tech savvy but I think I was just lucky.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
black_country

Post by black_country »

My simcard is still locked and I'm still waiting for a callback from volvo. I've just contacted vodaphone to see if it will unlock itself after a period of time, talk about chasing your own tail and they say the sim card has to be registered first and it will then unlock itself.. yeah right. I'll give its go
black_country

Post by black_country »

Hi everyone, thanks for all your helping info. I took the car to volvo yesterday and they unlocked the sim but unfortunately we couldn't get the car to connect because vodafone's log in page was down.
Ok so its just taken me 2 mins to get the sim working and everything is good.
For those having problems first register with the vodafone https://internetinthecar.vodafone.com and remember your password, then jump in the car and open the connectivity page in you cars settings, connect your phone to the cars wifi. Your phone will guide you through the rest, you don't need to touch the cars screen or input a password into the car, its all done by the phone this is where i was going wrong.
Hope it helps.
jediblade1

Post by jediblade1 »

I've finally managed to get the globe to appear, registered the card and thought everything was fine. Went back in the house, had my lunch then came back out to go to the supermarket, no globe and the message at the bottom says no connection? Forced a connection again and got the globe back up, as a test I turned the car off and opened the door, turned it back on and the globe gone again! This is very frustrating! I'm not bad with IT but this is ridiculous.