Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hope this isn't a silly question. My XC40 is coming up to 12 months old. The free 100 Gb data sim will expire soon. I think its around £100 to renew. Do I need a data sim to use the Volvo on call app to start the car on cold mornings? If so I see Three seem to do a good 24 month deal for around £45.

Gordon Zola

Post by Gordon Zola »

The £45 SIM has been spoken about on this site many times. It very often drops to around £35 quite frequently, if you keep a lookout on Amazon.

I can't answer your question about the VOC app and remote starting. However it would be quite easy to test - take out the Volvo SIM from the holder in the boot and see if you can remote start the car.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Mark123 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm Hope this isn't a silly question. My XC40 is coming up to 12 months old. The free 100 Gb data sim will expire soon. I think its around £100 to renew. Do I need a data sim to use the Volvo on call app to start the car on cold mornings? If so I see Three seem to do a good 24 month deal for around £45.
Volvo on Call (VOC) uses the factory embedded SIM for the duration of your VOC subscription. You don’t need the modem data SIM for using VOC app functionalities (including remote start).

The modem data SIM is needed for Sensus Navigation traffic updates and Sensus apps (Spotify, Google, TuneIn Radio, etc). Also, VOC will use the data connection from the modem SIM whenever available.
Deleted User 2446

Thanks both, good information. £35 for 2 years is a no brainier. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip.
Gordon Zola

Post by Gordon Zola »

If you use the Internet site CamelCamelCamel you can enter the Amazon description or ASIN number and it will supply you with a chart of the price variation over time.

You can also set up a notification that will tell you if the price drops to a selectable level. It works with any Amazon product.

Below is a link to the SIM price:

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01M3VJ2B2
Deleted User 2446

Thanks Gordon, very much appreciated
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Gordon Zola wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:52 pm If you use the Internet site CamelCamelCamel you can enter the Amazon description or ASIN number and it will supply you with a chart of the price variation over time.

You can also set up a notification that will tell you if the price drops to a selectable level. It works with any Amazon product.

You can also use keepa chrome plugin. Let you track discounts as well.
Gordon Zola

Post by Gordon Zola »

mr.vladis wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm
Gordon Zola wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:52 pm If you use the Internet site CamelCamelCamel you can enter the Amazon description or ASIN number and it will supply you with a chart of the price variation over time.

I don't use Chrome.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Gordon Zola wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 pm
mr.vladis wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm

I don't use Chrome.
That's fine. Me neither. Add it to the browser you use.
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Mark123 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm Hope this isn't a silly question. My XC40 is coming up to 12 months old. The free 100 Gb data sim will expire soon. I think its around £100 to renew. Do I need a data sim to use the Volvo on call app to start the car on cold mornings? If so I see Three seem to do a good 24 month deal for around £45.
When you say free 100 Gb data Sim, do you mean that it was supplied with your XC40?
I’m picking my new XC40 up on Friday and was going to buy the £45 one from Amazon. If you get a free one with the car then I won’t bother.
Thanks.
XC40 B4 Inscription, Onyx Black, Climate pack
Ordered 9th November 2020
Delivered 11th January 2021