Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

JohnE wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:41 pm When you say free 100 Gb data Sim, do you mean that it was supplied with your XC40?
I’m picking my new XC40 up on Friday and was going to buy the £45 one from Amazon. If you get a free one with the car then I won’t bother.
Thanks.
Some dealers are a bit hit and miss with it. I got mine and it was all setup ahead of getting the car, but some have to chase and are left to install themselves and some just didn't bother and went to Amazon

It doesn't use a lot of data, I use Tune In Radio and have done 3 satnav updates so far an its not even used 5GB of the 100GB since Sept.

I find the built in Spotify far too buggy and it stops all the time, so I just use my Android Auto for that. Tune in works well though.

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

blisteringblue wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm I find the built in Spotify far too buggy and it stops all the time, so I just use my Android Auto for that. Tune in works well though.
Funny thing is when I changed at the end of the year to Three all my spotify problems disappeared. My local area is a bit hit and miss for Voda coverage but even n long journeys it used to buffer. Not any more :D
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

JohnE wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:41 pm
Mark123 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm Hope this isn't a silly question. My XC40 is coming up to 12 months old. The free 100 Gb data sim will expire soon. I think its around £100 to renew. Do I need a data sim to use the Volvo on call app to start the car on cold mornings? If so I see Three seem to do a good 24 month deal for around £45.
When you say free 100 Gb data Sim, do you mean that it was supplied with your XC40?
I’m picking my new XC40 up on Friday and was going to buy the £45 one from Amazon. If you get a free one with the car then I won’t bother.
Thanks.
Yes, you should get a 100 Gb data sim card supplied with the car, make sure the dealer sets it up for you during handover.
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

DarrenF wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:57 pm
Funny thing is when I changed at the end of the year to Three all my spotify problems disappeared. My local area is a bit hit and miss for Voda coverage but even n long journeys it used to buffer. Not any more :D
The crazy thing is my phone is on Vodafone too and spotify is fine on Android Auto, just buffers constantly built in as you say. Can cope until the year is up.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

blisteringblue wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:21 pm
DarrenF wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:57 pm
The crazy thing is my phone is on Vodafone too and spotify is fine on Android Auto, just buffers constantly built in as you say. Can cope until the year is up.
It is not much better on Three either.
Some lazy developer probably wasn't bother to add any caching at all :(
black_country

Post by black_country »

Hi sorry but I must have missed something or am probably being really stupid but what's with this 100gb data sim?
I picked my new car up at the end of the first lockdown and was basically just given the keys and told to go. I've had no face to face contact with the dealership since so I have not really set the car up from how it came. All i've done is plug a thumb drive in the usb with music on. I have no apps, spotify/apple car play etc showing which i would have expected, has this sim got something to do with connecting to these apps?
thanks in advance.
Cod Fish

Post by Cod Fish »

The car has limited connectivity, just enough to use the VOC app e.g. start your car remotely, send satnav locations etc.

However if you install a data SIM, in the boot, you can use the apps and also get real time traffic info for the satnav etc.

You can buy a SIM yourself, 3 Network do a good one (search on this site for the details), or Volvo were offering a free SIM, they still might be offering it. From my experience you will have to ask for it.

It's valid for 12 months and is 100Gb.

I used it for the year, and then bought a 3 Network one, which is valid for 2 yrs and is 24 GB. It's more than enough.

An old link, but it may still be valid:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-g ... -in-the-uk
black_country

Post by black_country »

Thanks for the reply
I've just spent 20 mins in the car and have managed to download some apps and get them working via the hotspot on my phone. I'm on 3 anyway so i'll look into it.
As i said i didn't have much of a dealership handover, the sales guy I was dealing with unfortunately got furloghed so didn't get talked through the media / apps etc, reading posts on here I was under the impression a sim card was fitted to use these without internet connection via a phones hotspot.
Thanks again for your help.
Cod Fish

Post by Cod Fish »

If you get a SIM installed in the boot your phone, and anyone elses phone or tablet can use that SIM for connectivity.

The satnav will pick up real time.traffic as well via the boot SIM
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

After installing your own SIM, VOC will also use it as data connection instead of the factory built in Volvo SIM. This might become an issue if you try using VOC services in areas where your installed SIM has bad network coverage. The built in Volvo SIM is operating in roaming and by not being linked to a single network, it can connect to any mobile network with data coverage in the area (EE, Three, O2, Vodafone). For more details on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2425&p=21593#p21221