Volvo On Call app at odds with odometer

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Involvoed

Post by Involvoed »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this: occasionally the Volvo On Call app shows a Start Odometer reading which is 1 mile less than the End Odometer reading for the previous journey. For instance, one journey on 13th December ended with an odometer reading of 13,912 miles. The next journey, on 14th December, apparently started with an odometer reading of 13,911 miles!

I've owned my XC40 (T4 Momentum Pro) from July 2018, but I only installed the app on 22nd October 2020. Reviewing the journeys I've done since then I noticed that the difference between the Start Odometer reading on 22nd October (13,079) and the End Odometer reading today (14,190) is 1,111 miles, but the sum of all the journey distances is 1,117.2 miles. The discrepancy is consistent with 6 journeys (out of 86) having a Start Odometer reading 1 mile lower than the End Odometer reading for the previous journey.

This must mean that either the app or the odometer is inaccurate. The odometer readings on the app (and in the car) are displayed without any decimal places; the journey distances are displayed to 3 decimal places (if you download them to Excel), but only 1 dp in the app on my phone. The distances seem to be truncated rather than rounded to 1 dp in the app: for instance, the last journey I undertook shows as 5.899 miles in Excel but only 5.8 miles on my phone. The sum of all the distances in Excel, truncated to 1 dp, is 1,113 miles – which is better but still not quite right.

The slightly worrying thing is that the odometer might be losing the odd mile here and there. It’s as if there were a subtle form of clocking going on!