Which options / packs are a must?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
drkash

Post by drkash »

Looking to order a XC40 R Design. Never ordered a new car before so don't want to miss something or order wastefully. I appreciate this is quite subjective but which extras would you definitely recommend? I don't want to spend excessively.

I was thinking of:
Park assist - mainly so I can get front parking sensors (which I am surprised aren't standard!)

Smartphone integration / android auto

Climate pack - for heated seats and window. However I have heard about starting the car on the app 10mins before keeps it warm and so this pack isn't needed - can someone clarify how this works? I assume on the app. Can I have it set as a regular timer on certain days of the week?

? Sunroof - is this worth the extra £1k?

Thanks for any advice

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

As you say, it's subjective what you consider essential, and what you consider nice to have. I went inscription as it had more of my essentials as standard, e.g. As you say front park sensors and rear camera.

For me the android auto wasn't necessary. However I went for Driver Assist, I wanted the adaptive cruise and the rear approach sensors as my wife's T-Cross has these and I've found them very handy, especially reversing out of a blind parking space because there are large vehicles beside you.

I went for climate: Yes you can pre start the car to warm up, but that's fuel you're using to go nowhere. I know the heated seats etc use some fuel, but at least you're travelling. I've got heated seats in my current car, and they warm you so much faster than the car does on freezing mornings.

Final essential for me was the towbar, because I tow a caravan. Though this time I've not gone diesel, picking the B4 engine instead but with AWD.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

As you rightly put it, this is highly subjective. Based on your needs and preferences, only you can decide what options are a must. Try to separate the options you’ll use in every day driving (Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Intellisafe Pro, HC Audio) from the ones you’ll use less often (Climate Pack, Bending Headlights, Sunroof) and choose those you feel are very important for you.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Starting the car and trying to heat it for ten minutes with the residual heat from the engine is nothing in comparison to a heated windscreen, seats and steering wheel. If a warm car is important enough for you to ask, I'd definitely add the climate pack.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
gt40

Post by gt40 »

I like the winter pack but I wouldn't put it in my essential list - and make sure the heating elements don't annoy you. I have always found them a minor irritation, especially at night.

My only essential was adaptive cruise control, one of these things that once you've had it you'll never want to be without it. Others may disagree, but they probably don't drive where I drive.

Edit - smartphone integration gives you decent options for entertainment and navigation. Google Maps is better than everything else, and being able to listen to BBC Sounds whilst driving through France was a bonus.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Stroke City

Post by Stroke City »

drkash wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:23 am Looking to order a XC40 R Design. Never ordered a new car before so don't want to miss something or order wastefully. I appreciate this is quite subjective but which extras would you definitely recommend? I don't want to spend excessively.

I was thinking of:
Park assist - mainly so I can get front parking sensors (which I am surprised aren't standard!)

Smartphone integration / android auto

Climate pack - for heated seats and window. However I have heard about starting the car on the app 10mins before keeps it warm and so this pack isn't needed - can someone clarify how this works? I assume on the app. Can I have it set as a regular timer on certain days of the week?

? Sunroof - is this worth the extra £1k?

Thanks for any advice

I was in exactly the same situation. I bought the R Design.

My must was a 2 litre petrol engine, with AWD and auto box, so I bought the T4 AWD Auto. And that was it, no additional packs or extras required. Or so I thought.

After a few weeks I had the rear camera retrofitted - about £800 from the Volvo dealer. The rear visibility was atrocious. With the camera it's passable.

For me the front visibility is fine, no need for front sensors. And certainly no need for heated wheel or seat.

So extra-over must have for the standard RDesign, T4 AWD Auto would be a rear camera.

I paid an £800 premium after the event to have it fitted, but as I hadn't bought any superfluous packs I only paid £31k all in, even with the retrofitted camera.
Last edited by Stroke City on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Also, don't be one of those people who has a puncture, lifts up the boot floor, and wonders why there's no spare wheel.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Stroke City

Post by Stroke City »

I don't have a spare wheel, but thankfully I know why I haven't a spare wheel. I have a can of sealant, and a VOC app/system 🙂
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

As others have said, this is mainly about personal preferences. What is absolutely essential is to study the brochure/specifications with a forensic level of attention to detail and avoid any assumptions. This applies to any new car purchase from any manufacturer. A classic generic example would be not to assume that 'power mirrors' always includes auto-folding.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

It really depends on what you want as so many have said.
I have a R design D4 and the only absolute essentials for me were automatic cruise control (I would never buy a car without again) and remote powered tailgate. The automatic cruise control only came as a package with intellisafe and while I didn't choose it, it has saved me a couple of potential scrapes while backing out of drive so I'm glad to have it.
In the South of UK I can't see any need for climate pack but if I lived in north of Scotland I probably would. I just start a few minutes before heading off if iced up and soon warms up. Had climate pack as standard on my previous Tiguan and maybe used it twice in three years.