Which options / packs are a must?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
drkash

Post by drkash »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, certainly helpful

Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Driver Assist. It’s not cheap at £1,550 but it could save your life.
XC40 B4 Inscription Pro
Onyx Black
Oxide Red Leather
Driver Assist Package
Versatility Pack
Power Boot
Tempa Spare Wheel
Smart Phone Intergration
Harman Kardon
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this question because most of 2020 I've spent configuring various configurations and nagging my Volvo dealer about various options, configurations, advices, etc. Finally I purchased the used 2018 XC40 D4 AWD R-Design with a lot more options than I initially wanted from that same dealer, although I wanted as much options as my old Peugeot 207 SW used to have (Enhanced Sound, sunroof, auto-folding side mirrors, automatic headlamps, automatic wipers, excellent climate control, bag hooks,...)
I live by the sea in Croatia and we have just a few days with the temperature below zero Celsius, so here are some of my observations on my D4 AWD R-Design fully packed with options:
- I thought winter package with heated steering wheel is something I'd never purchase but now I LOVE that option! Having heated steering wheel and seat when there's a temperature below 10℃ is great!
- Panoramic roof is great and Volvo has great noise reduction so there's almost no difference in noise when there's sun blind open or closed. However, the horizontal bar above your head and above the review mirror is so thick that you won't be able to use it for watching the street light turning green (which was one of the greatest advantages in my old Peugeot). Get the panoramic roof if you have kids, they'll love it! If you mostly drive alone, panoramic roof will get you a sense of more space in the cabin, which can also be great.
- I wanted BLIS and Pilot Assist and now I can't imagine city driving without that help
- Apple CarPlay: I thought I will use it all the time and it was a must, but actually I used it only once. I have data SIM with Internet connection and Spotify in the car, so there's no need to use it on my iPhone. On the other hand, I can listen to Spotify, Deezer or Audible from my iPhone via Bluetooth on car speakers and I can pause the phone audio using steering wheel button, which is great! I can also temporarily use Google Maps on my iPhone and its voice will override the car audio because of the Bluetooth connection, which I find also useful. I use wireless charging all the time so using cable to get only a few more functionalities of CarPlay is not that convenient. I'm waiting for Volvo to enable wireless CarPlay (which I tried at Audi and is great!), I think I'll use it more then.
- Headlamps washers: boy, those bastards drink washer fluids like crazy! I do have LED lights (great feature btw) and I'm not sure how dirty or dimmed would they be without headlamp washers.
- Powered tailgate: GREAT! The most useful feature is opening with your foot, which I always use when going from the grocery store. I excluded that feature from most of configurations I've tried last year, thinking that's now worth some bucks, but now it's the most useful feature! I can also close the tailgate and lock the car with just one tailgate button, which is the next useful feature and is usually used in combination with both hands fully loaded with bags (and with car key in the pocket, of course)
- Bag hooks in cargo area: this was a deal breaker for us. Any car that didn't have these was not even considered as option, since we used that a lot in our old car. We also have under the floor hatch (great option btw!) so most of the time it's folded up and we use its bag hooks and not those along the sides
- Electronic folding rear seats: not necessary. My car's battery was half empty a month ago and the car wouldn't fold the back seats so I needed to fold them manually, which is a piece of cake. Either way you need to raise them back manually so having a button that will just release the hook in not a big deal
- Electric driver's seat with memory function: excellent feature if there's more than one just driver (and my wife is smaller then me). Not necessary for a single driver
- Park Assist: something I didn't want to, but I got it anyway. Is a cool feature to show someone, but after just a few attempts of my own I can park a car way better than Park Assist. Most of the time I wanted to use it because I wanted to go out of the tight space it just said "Park Assist temporary unavailable" Screw that Volvo! However, I must admit that I used it once for parking out of the parallel parking space when it was pouring rain and I couldn't see out properly. Volvo parked out perfectly :)
- 360° camera: I wanted front sensors only and I've tried a few XC40s with just back camera which was easy to use. I also tried 360 camera on Peugeot and it's superior to the one Volvo has, but nevermind. My wife wanted a 360° camera because she was afraid she'll scratch the car while parking and now I use it a lot. I also set up the side mirrors to tilt when I put in reverse gear (because I usually park by the sidewalk) but I rarely look at them - I just use the 360° camera and I love it
- Auto hold (Automatic breaking when stationary): I thought I will use it all the time and it was a part of all my XC40 configurations, but now most of the time it's off. Why? Because it's annoying while parking! If only it can be disabled while the camera is on, that would be great. Now I sometimes switch it on but always switch it off while parking, so it's off when I start the car and I usually forget to turn it on, even while waiting at the streetlight. As I said, if only it can be disabled while the camera is on, it would be a great feature.
- Automatic wipers: I wanted the car to have such feature and I'm glad I have it again. It's always on in my car.
- Automatic main beam light: this is great feature if you are driving on highways a lot, especially after the sunset. I've chosen the high sensitivity in the setup, because otherwise it annoys truck drivers. That way I simply switch it on once and forget about it until I come home.
- Harman Kardon: I wanted that and I got it. Can't imagine a lousy sound in such a great car, and HK really sounds good. Not the "Abbey Road Studios Monitor Sound" great, but very good.

Hope I listed everything I tested and had opinion on. Feel free to ask for more details :)
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018