Mud Flaps

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Boomer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:32 pm Senwar. I am weak. I gave in.

Car is getting filthy way to quickly. Ordered a set yesterday and should be with me tomorrow. It probably won't stop it completely but will at least slow it down a fair bit.
I found using them on my last SUV that it reduces the amount of asphalt/road debris that adheres to the area behind the tires and when cornering it stops harsh debris like stones from being thrown up against the paint. They also reduce the time needed to scrub during washes. I just like the rear view of an SUV with mud flaps as it cleans up the bottom area where the tire sticks out. A nice stout, bulldog stance.
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18

Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Tux R40 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pmMorning view
Looks good and is certainly swaying me to go for them, will have a think :)
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

I'm wondering how much drag the mudflats add, there will be a small impact on mpg I assume.
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Telboy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Tux R40 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pmMorning view
Looks good and is certainly swaying me to go for them, will have a think :)
You just ordered them didn’t you? :D
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

early adopter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 pm I'm wondering how much drag the mudflats add, there will be a small impact on mpg I assume.
I bought them with a certificate verifying a 20hp bump based on the Coefficient of Friction (vertically not horizontally) as the air moves between the tires & mud flaps. I’m thinking it’s money well spent & combined with P*.....well I’m going to beat Ferraris at this point.
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Tux R40 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:13 am
early adopter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 pm I'm wondering how much drag the mudflats add, there will be a small impact on mpg I assume.
I bought them with a certificate verifying a 20hp bump based on the Coefficient of Friction (vertically not horizontally) as the air moves between the tires & mud flaps. I’m thinking it’s money well spent & combined with P*.....well I’m going to beat Ferraris at this point.
:lol: :lol: 20bhp per corner at least 👍
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Boomer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:32 pm Senwar. I am weak. I gave in.

Car is getting filthy way to quickly. Ordered a set yesterday and should be with me tomorrow. It probably won't stop it completely but will at least slow it down a fair bit.
Just fitted them. They look great (tasteful and under stated) and would recommend. Now to see if they reduce the dirt build up.

Fitting is really straight forward... though access a bit more restricted for the rear ones but still doable without taking the wheels off.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
ForgotRafe

Post by ForgotRafe »

I often carry bikes on a towball bike rack. Last week was first time I did it on the XC40, drove through a load of mud on the road near a building site and absolutely covered the bikes. Mudguards were promptly ordered and have just arrived. No instructions, but they don't exactly look hard to fit ;)
XC40 FE D4 | Bursting Blue |19" wheels | Charcoal interior | Ordered November, delivered mid-March
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

There are some instruction links on another thread - but yes not difficult. For the front ones just remove the four existing screws, clean down the surface, and then attach mud flaps using the slightly longer screws as supplied. You'll need a TX25 head for the screws. Turn the front wheels on max to get easier access.

For the rear same procedure but you don't do anything with the top-most screw (it caught me out the first time) as this time there is only three screws/holes involved. Easy, but space a little tighter to work in.

As for whether they improve things? Wouldn't you believe it - dry weather/no muddy roads since I installed (so they are working really well... :lol: )
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Marketry

Post by Marketry »

This will be my first Volvo. I guess I'm at the age that part of the attraction is a thread on mud flaps can run to 6 pages!
T5 White - 19 inchers for sanity not vanity