Snow driving

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Given the snow that is falling in various parts of the UK at the moment what drive mode do you use in your XC40 in the snow?

I tend to stick with eco or my equivalent individual mode with enhanced aircon for keeping the glass nice and clear. It has a nice muted accelerator response.

Remembering off-road mode is not designed for use on public roads.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019

72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Sounds about right, Eco starts the car off in second gear too. (Sorry, assuming auto)

In deeper snow, there's a school of thought that suggests disengaging DSC and TC, which sounds counterintuitive.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Faria

Post by Faria »

I dont have any experience in driving on snow, going to drive first time tomorrow in snow for going to work.
Will be lovely to hear your experiences about different driving modes in snow.

D4 AWD R design pro Fusion red with Xenium pack, intellisafe pro and convenience pack, late 2019
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Just engage brain, gentle on everything and watch out for idiots. That usually works.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
helsinkipolarbear

Post by helsinkipolarbear »

All normal modes work very well in snow: I've driven in arctic conditions for the last few weeks in Finland with my XC40. The traction control is excellent on slippery roads both in controlling my car as well as marking it slippery for others with Volvo Connected Safety. The braking distances are naturally longer as dictated by the laws of physics - which many of my fellow drivers in Finland seem to forget when it gets slippery!
morganj

Post by morganj »

I have to say I am quite happy with my T5 Recharge in the snow, was a little concerned this being my first FWD car in about 10 years.

I used Off-Road mode to climb a very steep snow covered hill without any issues, the 2 cars that attempted in front of me all came sliding back down with front wheels locked. This of course is also related to tire choice.

I have also noticed that if you try hard enough you can get the car to handle less like FWD by carefully planned hard application of steering and sudden lift off of throttle.

All in all very happy with the XC40 in the snow.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

Eco mode is a good call. Turn off DSC and TC and do everything as gentle as possible especially braking and steering. If you have an auto box then use manual to bring down the gears to help with engine braking. The biggest problem is that the vast majority of people drive on summer tyres all year round and with the British winters of the last few years winter tyres seem like an over indulgence.

Biggest problem I found on our roads, even with winter tyres fitted to a Landrover Defender was that the roads always get blocked by HGVs and those people who give up and abandon their cars without thought. Emergency vehicles still have to get through.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Only collected my car new XC40 phev today so have no idea what it will be like when running on electric in snow. I would imagine that electric power would be smoother and less likely to get wheel slippage. I have recently used my old Vauxhall Antara 4x4 for these weather conditions. Years ago BC there were all sorts of methods to improve traction. Taking a spark plug lead off helped. 205 litre full oil barrel in the back of my old van. The best stuff was something called liquid tyre chain, a bit like carpet adhesive spray but it worked a treat! You don’t get deep snow these days. Famous last words.
morganj

Post by morganj »

Had to google the Liquid Tire Chain

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenan ... ire-chain/
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
RJC

Post by RJC »

Thanks for the great video. Obviously a GM product, Used to be sold in the UK in 200ml cans. Very polluting I would imagine.