Automatic hazard warning flashers

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Over the last couple of weeks I've twice caught my XC40 flashing the hazard lights quickly three times when coming to a stop. I've only noticed it due to the reflection from the car in front of me.

In my last car, a V40, the hazard indicator and clicking noise would come on so at least I could tell inside the car it was doing it, plus I was genuinely heavy braking. The XC40 doesn't indicate in any way.

In the XC40 I wasn't braking hard but both times it happened to be slowing from motorway speed to a stop on the slip road. Again, gentle braking to a stop, nothing mad.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed something similar. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or there is a fault with the car. Hate to think I'm driving around and braking and that's happening every time, I'd have no idea!

TurboNeil

Post by TurboNeil »

I don't remember having read anything about a feature like that however I stopped into a restaurant and came back out and found my hazards were flashing even though I hadn't had them on.

Curious to hear what others think.

Cheers.
2021 R Design T5 in Fusion Red.
Twitcher

Post by Twitcher »

Perhaps you are braking harder than you think. Or it's a faulty car.

This is what the manual says:

"Emergency brake lights are activated to alert vehicles behind about heavy braking.

The function means that the brake light flashes instead of - as in normal braking - shining with a constant glow.

The emergency brake lights are activated during heavy braking or if the ABS system is activated at high speeds.

After the driver brakes to a low speed and then releases the brake, the brake light returns to normal glow.

The car's hazard warning flashers are activated at the same time. These flash until the driver accelerates the car to a higher speed again or switches off the car's hazard warning flashers".
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Maybe I'm a bit more heavy on the brakes than I thought then! It would be preferable if there was some indication the car was doing this, just wasn't sure if it was generally accepted by others it was a bit over zealous with the warnings to other drivers!
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

2 or 3 times now I've turned on or off the windscreen demister only to inadvertently turn on the hazard lights - the buttons are right next to each other and quite small, and, after all, you're supposed to be looking at the road ahead. As you say no loud clicking to warn you. Not saying this is your problem, but just in case.
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

For the hazards to come on correctly during braking then the braking has to be seriously hard. Foot to the floor hard. If it's coming on during normal braking then it could be faulty and may need to be looked at. Just have someone watch you on your street or a quiet bit of road and brake as you normally would. I do find that in normal driving mode the brakes do not some attention and are not the best with little feel as to what the wheels are doing.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

No longer have the XC40 as I changed to V60CC but just popped in & spotted this thread.

It could *possibly* be a Volvo fault as I've had hazards come on for no obvious reasons a couple of times in my V60. I intend to monitor it & try to keep as open mind as possible - I certainly wasn't braking hard.

So far, if there was a common denominator, I was already indicating left on a gentle turn & manually cancelling indicator as turn was possibly too gentle to rely on auto-cancel. Each time, I've noticed the indicators on & thought I'd been heavy-handed & gone from a left to a right indicator, before realising my hazards are turned on.

Your issue & mine may be completely unrelated but, just thought I'd share anyway
(as maybe you are also manually cancelling as you enter slip road???) - I'll post back if there are further developments.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera