Install and activate Vodafone P-SIM

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

For the record, I'll summarise useful info found spread over a number of posts, and add some of my own from dealer-provided info.

Volvo say, "Available for the first owner of MY20 newly purchased vehicles only".

Dealer info says: "Once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled."
[I interpret this to mean that even if you have a pile of Volvo Vodafone SIMs, you can't activate a second one after a predecessor expires; doesn't stop you using a SIM from a different provider]

The full process involves 2 steps, one normally done by the dealer and one by the customer/new owner.

--start of Dealer Process--
1) Remove the SIM from its packaging.
2) Insert the SIM into the P-SIM holder.
3) To ensure the vehicle uses the P-SIM for data connection, within Sensus, go into Settings -> Communications -> Car Modem Internet and tick the box. Press Yes on the next screen if applicable
4) Wait for the screen to load and press Network and tick Data Roaming
5) Press Mobile data, untick Automatically detect, enter the APN address as acf.internet.uk.ott and then press Confirm. [you may have to press Confirm to confirm the blank userID and Confirm again to confirm the blank password - I did] Then press Close. [other people have said they left it on Automatic and it worked]

It can take up to 5 minutes for the original initialisation to take place and the Internet Globe to appear on the top left of the Sensus screen.
If the globe does not appear, you may need to force it to look for a connection. To do this, connect the vehicle to a stable internet source (eg phone with WiFi hotspot turned on, or WiFi) and wait for the globe to appear.
Then go back to Settings -> Communications -> Car Modem Internet and re-tick the box. The globe should then appear, using the P-SIM connection.

--end of Dealer Process--

The Customer Process is described in detail here
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/huma ... c/activate

Things that can go wrong or catch you out with the Customer Process.

1) The instructions say to connect your phone/tablet/laptop to the car's hotspot and visit www.internetinthecar.vodafone.com
Many people have reported problems getting a web page back from that URL. Some say retry and retry and retry and it will eventually work.
I eventually used a Windows laptop and discovered that is worked when I used the full https address of https://www.internetinthecar.vodafone.com

2) The Vodafone registration process is quite onerous and demands a lot of personal information. That includes a valid mobile phone number to which they will send an SMS validation code which you have to type into the registration form.

3) At this point I received 2 emails from Vodafone; one saying Registration Successful, and one saying, Please verify your email address.
YOU ARE NOT FINISHED YET!
You must click the link to verify your email. That requires a full Vodafone login with the credentials you created during the Vodafone registration.
After you have successfully logged on, you must then Activate your free trial. Then you are finished.

A good test is to visit the Download centre/Maps. There will always be maps that need updating.
If everything has gone ok, you will see map regions have an active 'Install' icon.
If instead they have a grey 'Install' icon, you have failed to activate. Go back to Square 1.
MY2020 R-Design

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Process for the 3 sim internet with legs.

Pop it in the sim holder in the boot.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
morganj

Post by morganj »

Skyrimmer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:27 pm Process for the 3 sim internet with legs.

I feel I need to step in to say it is not that simple.

A few more steps need to be taken

1: Put on clothes ( not often warn during COVID)
2: Place key in pocket or at least keep in hand.
3: Open boot ( trunk if in one of the colonies)
4: Lift boot (trunk) floor
5: Place SIM in slot
6: Walk away, go indoors ( remove clothes if desired)
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

morganj wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Skyrimmer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:27 pm Process for the 3 sim internet with legs.

OMG that is soooooo complicated
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

morganj wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:49 pm

You missed empty your bank account of £36+ where as if you do the free route then it ummmm stays in your bank account
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:33 pm
You missed empty your bank account of £36+ where as if you do the free route then it ummmm stays in your bank account
Worth every penny! You'll have to pay an extortionate amount to continue with vodapain after the 12 months. The 3 sim lasts two years..so £18 per annum.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Grrrrr!
All very helpful to a new owner trying to get their car online.
Not.

Which of you is sending out free '3' SIMs to replace the awkward free Vodafone one the car comes with?
Nobody?

Right, then let's get this FAQ corrected and filed (is there a Read-only FAQ topic? Is there a Moderator?)
MY2020 R-Design
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

blastpipe wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Worth every penny! You'll have to pay an extortionate amount to continue with vodapain after the 12 months. The 3 sim lasts two years..so £18 per annum.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
So after the first year that’s when you spend the £36+
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Senior Volvo Tech

Post by Senior Volvo Tech »

My personal experience differs from the reported issues of a few members.

I installed the free Vodafone SIM and had 12 months of free, problem free car internet use.

I then installed the £36 3 Network SIM, again easy and without issues.

On this basis I will have had 3 years at a cost of £36 - £12 per year.
Very satisfied with both Vodafone and 3 Networks prices and service.

The installation of the 3 Network SIM was very quick. The installation of the Vodafone SIM was carried out by the dealership. I sat in the car with him while this was done. It was complete with no issues in a about 5 mins.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 pm

So after the first year that’s when you spend the £36+
Well potentially yes. If you had the 'free' 12 month vodapain one then after 12 months if you want to continue to use it then there is a monthly fee payable to vodapain...which I can't remember how much it is...but too much. So at that point you can choose to pay Vodapain or use another data sim like the ones from 3.

The Vodapain sim only started to be issued with new cars in 2020. Plenty of cars made before that never had one.

I've only used the 3 sim, soon about to start my second one...and I'm really happy with that.