Owners opinions on T5 Recharge PHEV

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I have been given the option of a company car and am considering the plug in XC40.
I currently have a D4 First Edition that I do like a lot except for the gearbox/engine lag at roundabouts etc and the terrible fuel consumption.
I have read the reviews and have had a test drive but wondered if those of you that already own one could share you knowledge.
My main concerns are:

- How would you rate the performance in "Pure" mode......I found it quite sluggish bit maybe I could get used to it.

- The brake pedal feel is mentioned quite a lot.....is this something you get used to or is it always a bit unpredictable?

- Are there any other things you have found that are worth sharing?

Thanks for any insight you can give.
Last edited by Deleted User 1240 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NellyD5

Post by NellyD5 »

Don’t. Heated steering wheel is nice. Only redeeming feature in fairness. Brakes and lack of road feel both shocking
XC40 R Design Recharge. Glacier Silver. Climate pack. Protection pack
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I will be interested in views too. I seriously considered one until I realised it doesn't have AWD which meant it was a non starter for me.
I think you will be disappointed with fuel consumption as , unless the vast majority of your drives are under 30 miles, it is unlikely it will match your D4. Surprised you find the D4 consumption terrible. What mileage have you done in it? I have a R Design D4 AWD and fuel consumption wasn't great when new but after 20,000 miles I now average 42 mpg on a mixture of motorways and local roads and I never bother with eco mode and don't hang around when its safe and legal to press on.
goi

Post by goi »

Only a week owning the car. Every day charging. Only 150 km so far. But only 1 km on petrol engine, rest fully electric.

No issues so far. we like heating up the car before using it.

More reports to come...
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Consumption- on my regular 72mile trip I get about 80mpg if setting off with a full battery, PROVIDED I remember to set the very familiar route on the satnav. The clever car then uses electricity for the urban bits of the route and petrol on the motorway, deploying each fuel where it is most efficient.

My worst was a brisk criss country drive in sport mode, starting with an empty battery- 18mpg, but in sport mode it’s an indecently quick car.

Multiple local errands done on electricity bump up the average very nicely.

Top tip, the Harmon Kardon stereo upgrade sounds sublime. The standard fit system in our first XC40 was mediocre for a 40K+ car

Glass roof and blond leather give an interior ambience nicer than any black coal hole of an interior- just a pleasant place to sit.

Our first one broke down twice in the 6 weeks we had it, but the replacement car has been fine so far.

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Thanks for the replies.
I only drive about 20 miles a day with occasional trips at weekends so I should be a prime candidate for a plug in.
The daily commute is a mixture of roads that I really need to drive purely on the electric motor but my worry is that the 80hp motor it is not enough. Others have 100hp+ electric motors that would seem more up to it.
I was due to test drive a Mercedes GLA 250e today but they cancelled are their car is in for accident repairs !!
I really want to stay with Volvo but I think others may just have the edge.
Luckily, I’m in no real rush so will try and enjoy the selection process.
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

I find the 80hp fine for town traffic and for cruising at 70 on a dual carriageway. Acceleration is more than sufficient to keep up with the other traffic.

This is very subjective, so you may have to try it and see.
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

The 82hp are more than fine for city driving. I rarely feel it lacking. I wonder what 100+ would feel like 🤔

As for the rest I suggest you see the carwow review of the T5 phev where it’s clearly faster than the pure ice version. There’s also a nice recommendation at the end: the phev only makes sense if you do a lot of city.

Cheers
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

Had mine since September and all I can say is I'm very thankful I didn't pay 43K for this car from my own money, its alright don't get me wrong but that is about it.

Transition from Electric to Petrol is woeful especially when you do a few miles on electric in this weather and it's like starting a cold car again and put your foot down and the turbo lag even worse. I've come to this car from back to back Lexus IS300h and while not a plugin they were so much better at the hybrid experience.

Also drive on electric only at the moment and the car will steam up, blast the heating to clear and its an instant 5 miles off the already meagre range.

I've done over 7000 miles now and the brake settled down. Seems to stay on a least now and doesn't feel like you are going to hit the car in front :lol:
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

I'd give it another 10 years. They'll be ready for 2030