R Design

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
glency80

Post by glency80 »

Hi

I'm considering the R Design Hybrid and have heard that due to the sport design it might be a firmer ride. Are there any owners of the R Design who can comment?

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The Rd has a sportier set up yes but it is still a very pleasant and quiet place to be. However if you go for the 20" wheels then the ride will be significantly harsher.

If you do a search on the forum you will find plenty of useful information is at your fingertips on the exact subject
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:42 pm The Rd has a sportier set up yes but it is still a very pleasant and quiet place to be. However if you go for the 20" wheels then the ride will be significantly harsher.

If you do a search on the forum you will find plenty of useful information is at your fingertips on the exact subject
Just to add, and this might just be my car, I find that if I have anything loose in the glove box or central storage bin, it rattles. I put this down to the harder ride of the R-Design and my 20” wheels. I think/suspect that models without sports suspension and smaller wheels would be less prone to such rattles. Just my opinion obviously.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Closing Sale

Post by Closing Sale »

glency80 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:18 pm Hi

I'm considering the R Design Hybrid and have heard that due to the sport design it might be a firmer ride. Are there any owners of the R Design who can comment?
I'm the owner of an RDesign and I deliberately went for the sports suspension. I haven't ridden the other version.

The What Car review says:

Curiously, the XC40 rides most adeptly on 'sports' suspension, which is fitted as standard to R-Design versions. The softer 'dynamic' suspension on other trims is still comfy but doesn't keep the car's body as well controlled over speed humps and crests.
Closing Sale

Post by Closing Sale »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm
blastpipe wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:42 pm The Rd has a sportier set up yes but it is still a very pleasant and quiet place to be. However if you go for the 20" wheels then the ride will be significantly harsher.

Just to add, and this might just be my car, I find that if I have anything loose in the glove box or central storage bin, it rattles. I put this down to the harder ride of the R-Design and my 20” wheels. I think/suspect that models without sports suspension and smaller wheels would be less prone to such rattles. Just my opinion obviously.
Having driven for many years I can't think of any car that wouldn't have a rattle if something were placed loose in a glove compartment or storage bin. Presume your gloves don't rattle😀
gt40

Post by gt40 »

I suspect the R Design with 18" wheels is the sweet spot, although I acknowledge some might not like the aesthetics. On the plus side you'll have less chance of kerbing those pricey alloys.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hi,
I think that wheels size play really significant role.
I have momentum pro with 19''.
While I can't say that bumps are harsh, but rather soft - I can still feel them.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I have a R Design on 18" wheels and I am very happy with ride. It is firm but comfortable. I test drove an Inscription and Found the R Design a better drive all round.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

i have a 2020 T4 RD Pro (so 20 inches). I've tested the Inscription, as curiously they didn't have RDs on hand. Indeed, the ride seemed a bit smoother over potholes etc but i am a poo driver (read: aggressive) so i found it to roll way too much in roundabouts, short turns, or when overtaking briskly. Coming from a shorter Mazda 3 this was accentuated quite a lot.

I am pleased to say the RD Pro on 20 sits really well in turns, it rolls a bit but much less than you'd expect from a car this tall (i believe it is talled than the XC60).

If you don't care too much about the Pro extras and go on 18-19 wheels i feel the ride will be a bit smoother, probably comparable with the normal suspention. Another thing to keep in mind is research what tires you'll get. I got PZeros, and those are run-flats. As you could imagine, all the wire in a run-flat makes it ... even harsher.

Good luck in your decision!
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

gt40 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am I suspect the R Design with 18" wheels is the sweet spot, although I acknowledge some might not like the aesthetics. On the plus side you'll have less chance of kerbing those pricey alloys.
I agree with above, i came from a BMW X5 which was a very hard drive. R Design suits me fine and good point about the higher side wall on the tyres with 18" wheels. The standard R Design is not a hard ride at all.
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red