Data SIM & VOC

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

My 12 month Vodaphone SIM which came with the car expires in around 2 weeks time; I'll probably get the Three Mobile PAYG SIM that has been discussed on this forum, but I'm wondering what ceases to function when the present one expires:
- Does VOC stop functioning, or is there some separate data mode (e.g. for driving log, fuel level, door open, etc etc)
- Map updates, I believe they are via the data SIM? (or USB of course)

What else stops if I don't get new SIM?

I missed the Amazon Black Friday deal so the Three Mobile 24 GB SIM is now £43.99, so might leave it for now

DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I believe you will stop getting RTTI and revert to TMC (motorway/major route traffic info broadcast over FM).

I say 'beleive' because I'm not absolutely certain you can't link the car to your phone, so the phone provides the Internet connction (hard to test).

As you'll know, the map updates can be done via a USB memory stick, so no problem there.

TBH, at a cost of 42 pence/week, is is even worth the wear-and-tear on your keyboard to ask the question?
MY2020 R-Design
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

There is a separate volvo SIM in the car for VOC and SOS etc

The customer sim covers traffic alerts, ability to provide wifi in the car and use apps that use data - you can also download new maps with it.

Or get a smaller data sim if you don't download music etc through the apps in the car. I don't use much data.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

Trouble is the smaller capacity cards are small on time as well as Gb. So less data, fewer months.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Might by time until the next amazon price cut though.

Even at their current price the sim is around £1.80 a month..that's pretty cheap.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
moatschool

Post by moatschool »

thank you will look into it
regards
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

As an alternative, I wondered if anyone has been using the Carspot Ready app on their phone?

This app seems to automatically switch on your phone’s WiFi hotspot / tethering function and connect your car to it, everytime you get in. Effectively removing the need for the car to use a sim. Obviously it depends on you having a decent data plan on your phone, but I imagine it would drain battery life.

I’ve downloaded it to have a play with ahead of my car sim running out anyway, though that it is still a while away for me.

Be interested to hear from active users though.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hi,
I have tried to use it. Battery is not an issue, as wireless charging seems to be powerful enough to not just compensate, but even charge the phone while tethering (unless you have an IPhone).

You also don't have to have a decent data plan on your phone, as car doesn't use muxh data.

Tha problem I had with this approach, and the reason why I have switched to the SIM, is that you cannot really control your car remotely. It simply doesn't have connectivity when you phone is not around. So you can't even remote start it.

I thought I'd try to combine both methods, but someone in Volvo decided that switching process should be manual only. So if you've set it to WiFi and there is no WiFi - it won't switch back to SIM.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

My Voda SIM died on its birthday - pulled the SIM and fitted the Three SIM (got the 12 month 12GB for £22.19 from Amazon. It connected instantly to the network - no faffing about like the Voda rubbish. I have also noticed I can listen to Spotify in Extreme quality for the first time.

Rather than worry about it I just went for it and so happy I did.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Three 24GB for 24 Months SIM is down to £36 at the moment on amazon

XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.