Badge question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Johnkavanagh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:14 am
eugen61 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:57 am
Johnkavanagh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:08 pm

I’d love to see a photo of this if you have one? Were having to do a little unexpected work on our XC40 rear end (ha!), so would make sense to pop the badges off at the same time!
Here you go. I can also send you pictures with other car color, just let me know what’s yours.

E027C0C4-4485-4996-AE1A-87717589341A.jpeg
Thank you, that’s brill!

I’d love to see black? Ours in Onyx Black but I imagine any black would do!
Onyx Black it is 8-)

5282D5BE-E3AF-4B09-AFFF-C499920E1594.jpeg

033D1426-D5CF-4EC0-A3DD-438CC24610D3.jpeg

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

To de-badge or not to de-badge. You see some rear ends just plastered with badges, and for me, look awful - but can't agree that just leaving the Volvo lettering is a good look - the rear end of the XC40 is a big area and in my opinion looks too bland without a few more badges to break-up the mass - XC40 and B4 each side looks far better - as for black cars, and my opinion after having had a few - best colour to have, worst colour to live with - when you see all the swirls, micro scratches and smudges in the sunlight - you will know what I mean???
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:29 am Onyx Black it is 8-)
Thank you, that was really helpful. I reckon it turned out really nicely!

To be fair, we only had the 'XC40' badge, the 'B4' and the 'AWD' badges to remove anyway - they've really slimmed down their badging for the MY21.
Oldie wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:37 am as for black cars, and my opinion after having had a few - best colour to have, worst colour to live with
I agree. Black was not my first (or second, or possibly even third) choice.

The option of buying a brand new one was tempting, but we were being given delivery dates in March, and Volvo has done away with a lot of the clever technology I really wanted in the car, so when this one came up in the spec I wanted, at a price I was ok with so that's what we ended up with!

The onxy black paint is a little odd for me coming from German and Italian marques: the flakes in the paint are much smaller than I've seen before, it's very dark for metallic paint. It is important to make friends with your local detailer if swirl marks upset you and you own a black car though! Despite being less than a year old, the paintwork on mine was really not good (made worse by the supplying dealership's pre-sale 'buff up'). It's now gone through a full paintwork rejuvenation and protection so hopefully it'll be ok for a little while. Can't get swirl marks if you don't wash it anyway! :D
gripross

Post by gripross »

Johnkavanagh wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:54 pm
eugen61 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:29 am Onyx Black it is 8-)
Thank you, that was really helpful. I reckon it turned out really nicely!

To be fair, we only had the 'XC40' badge, the 'B4' and the 'AWD' badges to remove anyway - they've really slimmed down their badging for the MY21.
Oldie wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:37 am as for black cars, and my opinion after having had a few - best colour to have, worst colour to live with
I agree. Black was not my first (or second, or possibly even third) choice.

The option of buying a brand new one was tempting, but we were being given delivery dates in March, and Volvo has done away with a lot of the clever technology I really wanted in the car, so when this one came up in the spec I wanted, at a price I was ok with so that's what we ended up with!

The onxy black paint is a little odd for me coming from German and Italian marques: the flakes in the paint are much smaller than I've seen before, it's very dark for metallic paint. It is important to make friends with your local detailer if swirl marks upset you and you own a black car though! Despite being less than a year old, the paintwork on mine was really not good (made worse by the supplying dealership's pre-sale 'buff up'). It's now gone through a full paintwork rejuvenation and protection so hopefully it'll be ok for a little while. Can't get swirl marks if you don't wash it anyway! :D
Looks really good that and having had a few black cars and being a novice detailed I agree that black looks lovely… but not for long .. it’s hard work snd the swirls drive me crazy. Were the running boards already fitted or have you added them?
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

gripross wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 pm Were the running boards already fitted or have you added them?
Volvo only made them available in their accessories catalogue quite recently, and they can only be installed on the MY21+ cars.

We added them as part of the purchase. We had them previously on our Tiguan so wanted to include them again here; I have a young daughter and a father who’s mobility isn’t what it used to be, so they are very useful!

Aesthetically I really like them too, although there was one or two people here on this forum who weren’t as keen.
gripross

Post by gripross »

The reason i ask is my wife has mobilty issues too and why i was enquiring. Picking my new car up Monday so may see if theres any at dealers with em on to try out...thank you for the reply.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

:o
gripross wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:11 pm The reason i ask is my wife has mobilty issues too and why i was enquiring. Picking my new car up Monday so may see if theres any at dealers with em on to try out...thank you for the reply.
No problem. The impression I get is that there’s really not many with them installed (at least not yet). I can take some more photos if there’s something specific you’d like to see? My father has Parkinsons, and really struggled with getting into my lower cars. He found climbing up into the Tiguan (and - now - the XC40) much easier, but the addition of the sidesteps also meant he was able to pull himself up onto the step, then himself around, and then plonk himself down into the seat, if you see what I mean?
gripross

Post by gripross »

thank you for that but i will try to see if i can see in person..reason for that being i want to see how far they stick out as if its too far as daft as it sounds it may actually hinder her getting in and out of car, i would have to get her to physically try a car with them on before contemplating having them fitted. By the way your detailing guy has done a great job. I've loved having black cars but as you know they are so much work. I will be ceramic coating my car soon after taking delivery so hoping it keeps some of the swirls away.

Trickster

Post by Trickster »

gripross wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:32 pm thank you for that but i will try to see if i can see in person..reason for that being i want to see how far they stick out as if its too far as daft as it sounds it may actually hinder her getting in and out of car, i would have to get her to physically try a car with them on before contemplating having them fitted. By the way your detailing guy has done a great job. I've loved having black cars but as you know they are so much work. I will be ceramic coating my car soon after taking delivery so hoping it keeps some of the swirls away.
Another picture https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb ... 19982/2022
gripross

Post by gripross »

Trickster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 pm
gripross wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:32 pm thank you for that but i will try to see if i can see in person..reason for that being i want to see how far they stick out as if its too far as daft as it sounds it may actually hinder her getting in and out of car, i would have to get her to physically try a car with them on before contemplating having them fitted. By the way your detailing guy has done a great job. I've loved having black cars but as you know they are so much work. I will be ceramic coating my car soon after taking delivery so hoping it keeps some of the swirls away.
Another picture https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb ... 19982/2022
very useful,,,, thanks