Built-in Volvo Satnav vs. TomTom (SIM was missing!!)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Hans Antoes

Post by Hans Antoes »

DanishPastry wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 pm Yes, indeed... The Manual says:

Press Navigation Settings .
A navigation settings page opens.
Change settings as desired and confirm
the selections.

Very helpful! 660 pages obviously isn't enough to describe the settings :-)

I'll have a look when I get the car back on Friday.
You're looking in the wrong manual.

Sounds like you're looking in the XC40 Owners Manual.

Why not download the 42 page XC40 Sensus Navigation Manual and do your search there. Either that or look in the online version of the owners manual, which combines the two.

To be fair it probably won't show you much more than you know already, it's a bit sparse.

But not as sparse as your earlier post stated πŸ˜€.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

DanishPastry wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 pm Yes, indeed... The Manual says:

Press Navigation Settings .
A navigation settings page opens.
Change settings as desired and confirm
the selections.

Very helpful! 660 pages obviously isn't enough to describe the settings :-)

I'll have a look when I get the car back on Friday.
If you have a mobile smart phone...then use the VOC app..it has a very handy manual in there under the support tab...with a keyword search function.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Thanks again @Hans. The Sensus Navigation Manual was a most interesting read.

Will be interested to see what 'Avoid traffic incidents' is currently set to. 'Ask' would be interesting because then you know if/when it's considering a re-route.

I'm still not clear on whether RTTI is available FOC for the lifetime of the car, or if it's something you need to subscribe to/pay for (most manufacturers make you pay for this, as well as for map updates).
MY2020 R-Design
michael123

Post by michael123 »

mr.vladis wrote: ↑Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 pm Why wouldn't they allow Android auto to go full screen and use dricer display as well?!
A million $ question
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Salmonfisher wrote: ↑Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 pm It sounds to me as if you have a problem with your sat nav. Mine doesn't tell me to keep right at every junction just very occasionally when its not clear which is main route of two (perhaps once in 100 miles), mine certainly reroutes during use and corrects when clear (possibly not as quickly as a Tom Tom as stated above but it often does it several times on a journey). Overall I'm happy and as good or better than my previous Audis and VWs.
Interesting. And in your case you drive across the city or on Dual Carriage Way? It doesn’t do so on the city rodes, but on bigger one.

It is most annoying on M25. Driving 50 miles there means 20-30 reminders to keep right...
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

blastpipe wrote: ↑Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:31 pm Well if you look at the manual, you can change quite a fair few settings...for starters:

Standard route types - fast, eco or scenic
Route learning
Avoidance settings

Then in the traffic section you can adjust how it handles traffic events in many ways.
I did look both into the manual and settings.
It is like 12 in total, not much I need to say.

What is most important - none of the combinations I've tried helps with that annoying "keep right" reminder.
Hans Neesantoes

Post by Hans Neesantoes »

How does the 'keep right' signal show itself to you? Mine simply shows a graphic between the Speedo and rec counter dials. It's not exactly intrusive.

If I want a mileage to destination I simply look at the top of the car central screen where it shows ETA and Mileage to Destination.

My previous use of a TomTom had the exact same issue but in that case it was far more intrusive. The TomTom insisted in showing a graphic AND speaking aloud the mantra of keep right. And there was no way of turning that off either.
Hans Neesantoes

Post by Hans Neesantoes »

AHH..I see your point. I always mute the sound on the Volvo's satnav but I see if you unmute it says as well as indicates by graphics. Solution - mute the sound πŸ˜€
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hans Neesantoes wrote: ↑Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:52 pm AHH..I see your point. I always mute the sound on the Volvo's satnav but I see if you unmute it says as well as indicates by graphics. Solution - mute the sound πŸ˜€
Yeah, switching off the sound will work. But I usually rely on it to swith lanes on big roundabouts, when I am lucky (this is not the case sometimes) it will also tell me the target road name, so I can choose a proper lane in advance.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Just had another terrible trip across London during which although the SatNav seemed to know about a few traffic jams, it was often telling me in was in free-flowing traffic when I was stationary in a jam.

Checked and RTTI was definitely selected.

They I checked the Internet connection via car modem.... and no connection. And it wouldn't connect.

Looked in the boot and... the SIM carrier was... EMPTY!

I'm guessing that the car is still getting the major route traffic information over FM radio, which is why I initially thought all was working properly.

Perhaps you don't automatically get a SIM with a Volvo Selekt car. Perhaps the dealer hadn't bothered installing a SIM as it was their Demonstrator.
I'll get in touch with them and ask.
MY2020 R-Design