Built-in Volvo Satnav vs. TomTom (SIM was missing!!)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
VolvoPhil

Post by VolvoPhil »

I think the SIM package is only available to the first owner of the car, and if you are the second or subsequent owner you would not be eligible for the SIM package.
Volvo XC40 T3 Inscription Pro in Denim Blue (on order)

DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I suppose most 'nearly new' cars are pre-reg or demonstrators, so perhaps the dealership simply doesn't install a SIM in them?

Wouldn't make sense, or save them money, to remove/destroy a SIM that was already installed.
MY2020 R-Design
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Maybe they don't...so maybe the satnav isn't as bad as you first thought..???

Ask the dealer for the sim..if they don't cough then get a 3 sim "internet with legs" from amazon. I'd do this anyway rather than the vodafone complicated set up.

So not only no badges...no sim card either??
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I've ordered the '3' 24 month/24 GB SIM from Argos.
Should make the RTTI work a bit better!

I did wonder how you stop the car burning through the 24GB with map downloads, but I've just found there is an Auto-download setting that can be switched off.
And anyway, auto-download only seems to apply to your 'home region', so it wouldn't download the whole of Europe.
MY2020 R-Design
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

The map downloads don't actually use much data via the SIM. They are Gb of data via USB but a lot less via mobile data.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

DanishPastry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:02 pm I've ordered the '3' 24 month/24 GB SIM from Argos.
Should make the RTTI work a bit better!

I did wonder how you stop the car burning through the 24GB with map downloads, but I've just found there is an Auto-download setting that can be switched off.
And anyway, auto-download only seems to apply to your 'home region', so it wouldn't download the whole of Europe.
Only used 8G of the one year 100G free SIM before it had expired.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

VolvoPhil is correct about the P-SIM only being for the first owner "Available for the first owner of MY20 newly purchased vehicles only".

Having said that, when I mentioned the absence to my salesman, he has kindly offered to drop one in the post :-)

Found this page, which also gives very comprehensive instructions for activating the P-SIM

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/huma ... c/activate
MY2020 R-Design
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

That's good of them. There are plenty of other instructions available on this forum too if you get stuck..worth a search while you wait for the SIM to arrive.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I've now got the P-SIM installed and real-time traffic active. Does that help bring the built-in Satnav up to TomTom standards...?

Short answer; no.

Estimated journey times are still absurdly low.
Ealing to Beckenham: estimated 1h. Took 1h45
Beckenham to Ealing: estimated 40m (are you joking). Took 1h5

In-flight rerouting does now happen, but isn't great.
I happened to glance at the central display and at the bottom there was a message, 'New route, save 7 minutes: Accept, Decline'
But there had been no audio cue.

I accepted the new route and found myself on a maze of twisty back roads.
The route include a Turn Left here, to a No-Left-Turn.
The route included a Straight Ahead where there was no road straight ahead (or anywhere close).

[sigh] I really, really want this to work, but it doesn't.

In practice, I'm not going to bother carrying and sticking the TomTom to the windscreen; I'll just put up with the crappy Volvo routing. Bit of a bummer.
MY2020 R-Design
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

DanishPastry wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:44 pm I've now got the P-SIM installed and real-time traffic active. Does that help bring the built-in Satnav up to TomTom standards...?

Short answer; no.

Estimated journey times are still absurdly low.
Ealing to Beckenham: estimated 1h. Took 1h45
Beckenham to Ealing: estimated 40m (are you joking). Took 1h5

In-flight rerouting does now happen, but isn't great.
I happened to glance at the central display and at the bottom there was a message, 'New route, save 7 minutes: Accept, Decline'
But there had been no audio cue.

I accepted the new route and found myself on a maze of twisty back roads.
The route include a Turn Left here, to a No-Left-Turn.
The route included a Straight Ahead where there was no road straight ahead (or anywhere close).

[sigh] I really, really want this to work, but it doesn't.

In practice, I'm not going to bother carrying and sticking the TomTom to the windscreen; I'll just put up with the crappy Volvo routing. Bit of a bummer.
Yeah, you not the only one.
I am curious how Volvo collect feedback, if any, for upcoming software releases. It would be so great if they'd listen to the people who actually try to use that "strange" navigation system.