Built-in Volvo Satnav vs. TomTom (SIM was missing!!)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

It sounds to me as if you have a problem with your sat nav. Mine doesn't tell me to keep right at every junction just very occasionally when its not clear which is main route of two (perhaps once in 100 miles), mine certainly reroutes during use and corrects when clear (possibly not as quickly as a Tom Tom as stated above but it often does it several times on a journey). Overall I'm happy and as good or better than my previous Audis and VWs.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

mr.vladis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 pm I personally find Volvo navigation almost owful and half screen Android Auto, doesn’t help either.

What is most irritating, is that instead of saying follow the road for 50 miles, it ask you to keep right on each junction on dual carriage way. And keef saying follow the road for a mile or for a few, while in fact - it is much longer.

It also doesn't adjust or reroute if conditions changed. It will only do it if you stop it and start navigation again.

Why wouldn't they allow Android auto to go full screen and use dricer display as well?!
What settings have you configured within the Volvo system? It might be worth you reviewing and changing any you think appropriate. The manual is available on the VOC app or online
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Lammy Natefloor

Post by Lammy Natefloor »

I've had TomTom's for years, standalone devices and smartphone App. When I bought the Volvo I just used the built in Volvo service. Works just fine, no worse, no better than the TomTom.

I no longer have the app or the standalone device, just used the Volvo system.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm
mr.vladis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 pm I personally find Volvo navigation almost owful and half screen Android Auto, doesn’t help either.

What is most irritating, is that instead of saying follow the road for 50 miles, it ask you to keep right on each junction on dual carriage way. And keef saying follow the road for a mile or for a few, while in fact - it is much longer.

It also doesn't adjust or reroute if conditions changed. It will only do it if you stop it and start navigation again.

Why wouldn't they allow Android auto to go full screen and use dricer display as well?!
What settings have you configured within the Volvo system? It might be worth you reviewing and changing any you think appropriate. The manual is available on the VOC app or online
Do you have a different behavior?

It is not like there are a lot of settings there. But nothing looks like it is going to help with this.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Well if you look at the manual, you can change quite a fair few settings...for starters:

Standard route types - fast, eco or scenic
Route learning
Avoidance settings

Then in the traffic section you can adjust how it handles traffic events in many ways.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Couple of examples of dreadful ETA estimates. This morning I set off to take the car from W5 to E2.

Immediately beforehand I'd checked the route with the TomTom MyDrive app, which shows a preferred and 2 alternate routes. 1h10, 1h15 and 1h20 duration at that moment.

The Volvo built-in, which does have Live Traffic active, said 40 minutes.

The actual journey took 90 minutes. For the last hour, the car was permanently showing ~ 15 minutes to destination (until we got close).

A few days ago drove from Beckenham to Ealing on a Sunday afternoon, so going to be busy. It's 45 minutes on absolutely middle-of-the-night empty roads. Car said 50 minutes. TomTom said 1h20. It was 1h20 give or take.

I'm not bothered about minute-accuracy, but these figures are WAY off.

But mostly, I fret about how accurate traffic jam avoidance is.
For me, living in London, that's the killer feature of a Satnav. I can manage to navigate my own way if necessary, but only the magic of a (good) Satnav can know about, and avoid jams.
MY2020 R-Design
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

What settings/configs have you set your Volvo sat nav to? Have you been through them in detail to make sure they are what you want them to be??

If, as you say, traffic jam avoidance is key for you, then stick with Tom Tom then you'll stop fretting.

In car sat navs are ALWAYS in my experience inferior to a tomtom live. I don't expect it to be any other way. And I certainly wouldn't trust a google thing based on how inaccurate journey times are on google maps.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I haven't changed any settings except to avoid the London Congestion Zone. And to activate Live Traffic.

Do I need to tweak it for the car not to call a 90 minute journey as a 40 minute journey? Perhaps I do. I would certainly prefer not to have to stick a TomTom to the windscreen when the car has one built-in.

I need to do more side-by-side trials. I'm not bothered if the ETA is wildly wrong provided the car is avoiding jams.
MY2020 R-Design
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

If you have a look at the manual you can change many settings and configurations...whether the type of route..fastest....most economical etc...what to do when traffic delays are identified.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Yes, indeed... The Manual says:

Press Navigation Settings .
A navigation settings page opens.
Change settings as desired and confirm
the selections.

Very helpful! 660 pages obviously isn't enough to describe the settings :-)

I'll have a look when I get the car back on Friday.
MY2020 R-Design