Built-in Volvo Satnav vs. TomTom (SIM was missing!!)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I've been running a side-by-side test on the built-in Volvo SatNav against a cheap TomTom unit (cost under £100 including lifetime map and safety camera updates, and live traffic updates).

Rather dissapointed to find the TomTom is much better than the built-in system.

Volvo arrival times are wildly optimistic and don't seem to adjust to reflect live traffic delays. When traffic is bad, TomTom arrival times are accurate; Volvo arrival times change but lag badly.

Volvo in-flight course corrections are hard to judge because there is no feedback.
TomTom often say, e.g. 'New route found that will save 5 minutes, do you want to take it?'

Sometimes the Volvo Satnav takes the TomTom improved route. Does that mean it found the better route and silently changed to it? Sometimes the faster TomTom route differs from what the Volvo route would be, so it seems Volvo haven't found the re-route.

Big difference in driver information when there's a jam.
TomTom is very efficient at showing busy roads as red-highlighted. If you are stuck in one, it brilliantly tells you the jam lasts for x miles and will take y minutes to pass through.
Volvo doesn't do any of that, so I am often left wondering if it really knows about the jam, and is there a better way around it.

I had high hopes that with a brand new 2020 car, I could ditch the TomTom, which annoyingly falls off the windscreen every now and then. But the bottom line is that the TomTom does a much better job.
Last edited by DanishPastry on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY2020 R-Design

alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

I actually use TomTom GO on my iPhone via Apple CarPlay.

My other car is a Focus ST, so was looking for the best......errr detector.....

It’s so good I use in in the Volvo too.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

You shouldn't be surprised that the Tom Tom is better. Tom tom are always the best I find. Even your cheap unit will have access to their maps and live updates.

The system in the volvo is pretty good I use it often but I also sometimes use the tom tom instead. I like to see my actual speed from a sat nav. I tend to use the tom Tom on long journeys. The live safety camera info is useful too. In fact the Tom Tom is always on in the car for that reason even if it is in the cubby box.

Some manufacturers for Tom Tom based systems in their cars. Volvo isn't one of them. But their system is still good.

I use a mat on top of the dash to put the Tom Tom on rather than the windscreen.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Haven't used a Tom Tom for years because of the convenience of an in built system. However I have found the Volvo incredibly accurate re journey times. Usually within minutes over a 150 mile journey I often do a mixture of motorway and country roads. Much more accurate than my previous Audi and VW ones which were always optimistic. It may depend on type of route as some non UK sat navs underestimate just how slow and crowded our motorways are compared to continent hence Audi problem.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I always use my TomTom for anything but simplest point to point journey. With TomTom you can plan routes and go via different routes, POI's etc.
In September I went from Newcastle to Fort Augustus, via a very specific route I wanted to follow; easy with TomTom and PC app, not possible with Volvo satnav.
Also speed camera warnings are far better with TomTom, not that I deliberately break them but its all to easy to stray by a few mph
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

charles_M wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am Also speed camera warnings are far better with TomTom, not that I deliberately break them but its all to easy to stray by a few mph
Yeah...that's my excuse too :P
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Danish Pastry’s comparison is interesting but I only agree with his findings in part. Perhaps my experience differs because my journeys are usually on rural main roads but I have invariably found the adjustments to ETA are pretty good when I am being held up by slow traffic (like farm tractors!) or temporary road works and I have not yet missed a warning about speed cameras. However, I do agree with his remarks about the delay in reporting serious traffic jams. There is quite some delay before they are shown and it can also take some time before the route is shown as clear again. I once tried to identify the origin of the Volvo mapping and traffic data, but no name I recognised came up. A few years back I believe Nokia was involved.
skimm

Post by skimm »

Connect the car to the internet (tether it to your phone's mobile hotspot, or insert a sim card) and you will benefit form live traffic updates. Which in my opinion are not too bad, I often use Waze through the Android auto while displaying yhe built in map on my dashboard. I'm surprised as to the accuracy of the updates.
But like I said, you've got go online for those.
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

WelshRobin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:16 pm Danish Pastry’s comparison is interesting but I only agree with his findings in part. Perhaps my experience differs because my journeys are usually on rural main roads but I have invariably found the adjustments to ETA are pretty good when I am being held up by slow traffic (like farm tractors!) or temporary road works and I have not yet missed a warning about speed cameras. However, I do agree with his remarks about the delay in reporting serious traffic jams. There is quite some delay before they are shown and it can also take some time before the route is shown as clear again. I once tried to identify the origin of the Volvo mapping and traffic data, but no name I recognised came up. A few years back I believe Nokia was involved.
Tomtom use some very innovative ways to identify traffic delays

I think Volvo use HERE maps...that were part of Nokia and Navteq before that. Now owned by car manufacture consortium.

Volvo satnav data depends on your sim card (if you've added one)...how good the coverage is etc. TT use multivendor SIM cards I believe in the connected models.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

I personally find Volvo navigation almost owful and half screen Android Auto, doesn’t help either.

What is most irritating, is that instead of saying follow the road for 50 miles, it ask you to keep right on each junction on dual carriage way. And keef saying follow the road for a mile or for a few, while in fact - it is much longer.

It also doesn't adjust or reroute if conditions changed. It will only do it if you stop it and start navigation again.

Why wouldn't they allow Android auto to go full screen and use dricer display as well?!