auto hold and stop/start (again?)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Most confused by this. I'm sure when I had my car (September 2018) the stop/start function worked whichever brake was used (footbrake, parking brake or auto hold, which is of course only one of the above 2 options!). In lockdown early 2020 the stop/start stopped working presumably due to low battery (which I accept even though my wife's A-class with even lower mileage continued to work properly).
After a few thousand miles in Autumn the stop/start reactivated itself but now only works with the footbrake or parking brake. If using auto hold or if I activate auto hold when stationary the engine starts up.
I emailed Volvo help who claim this is how its supposed to work. Anyone think differently??
D4 R-design in black.

charles_M

Post by charles_M »

My start/stop works with auto hold, BUT when in auto hold, if the engine re-starts, the auto hold gets over ridden and the car lurches forward. Not nice if you are quite close to the car in front! So I'm very wary of using it in start/stop traffic queues, and just use foot brake or parking brake
Next service I will mention this.

Mine was collected December 2019, so presumably early MY 20
vpw

Post by vpw »

I just had my start stop system patched in a service. They just reset the system and it works again as designed. Unfortunately the other issue popped out some time ago which is adaptive/turning headlights malfunctioning. The service claimed that it is going to be corrected with December software update. I do hope so.
MY20 momentum pro t3 automat fwd white + lights + winter + versatility + driver assist + park assist + climate +
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

xbimmer wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:44 pm Most confused by this. I'm sure when I had my car (September 2018) the stop/start function worked whichever brake was used (footbrake, parking brake or auto hold, which is of course only one of the above 2 options!). In lockdown early 2020 the stop/start stopped working presumably due to low battery (which I accept even though my wife's A-class with even lower mileage continued to work properly).
After a few thousand miles in Autumn the stop/start reactivated itself but now only works with the footbrake or parking brake. If using auto hold or if I activate auto hold when stationary the engine starts up.
I emailed Volvo help who claim this is how its supposed to work. Anyone think differently??
I had the same issue but had it fixed at the service via a software reinstall (at least that's what they told me). But you may need to push them a bit hard; at first they didn't even understand the problem. Now it works perfectly. By the way, it was mentioned in this forum that the problem was caused by a regular software update back in spring.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

At the end of the summer start/stop no longer stayed engaged with autohold on ours. Confirmed as a known software issue and we’ve had many issues with the software on the car which won’t be cured until an alleged update in December. It’s not long back from the best part of a fortnight at the dealers having the software issues investigated. A reinstall has helped and start/stop does now work again with autohold. Our dealer has been great with the issues after a bit of a shaky start, but Volvo Cars UK don’t care.
Family car: XC40 T4 R-Design Pro in Crystal white
Commuting car: Ford Focus ST diesel
Fun Car: Subaru Impreza
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

As James says above ..a well documented issue that is covered at the time on the forum that appeared late summer and is awaiting a software fix of some sort.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Slow Jive

Post by Slow Jive »

This "issue" is mentioned as if it's a common problem awaiting a fix. As far as I understand it's been mentioned a few times on this forum. Hardly a common issue.

My own car is unaffected and the stop/start system with auto hold behaves impeccably. It has the latest software.
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Thanks all for the update - looks like it should work, which is common sense to me. I'll take it up with my local dealer.
D4 R-design in black.
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

The software update to cure this problem was released in October. I had it done on my car and my problem solved.
Last edited by x-rayted on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

Almost everyday I have to stop my car at traffic lights on a slope. Not had any problems, better system than on my previous VW group cars. Picked my Inscription middle of October.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.