auto hold and stop/start (again?)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

All is clear re 'high current take-off'. Thanks.

What Start/Stop really needs is brains from Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, so they can elect not to Stop if you're going to be moving in a few seconds.
MY2020 R-Design

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

So to prove I stop my car so the stop/start kicked in. Pressed the heater rear window and the car restarted due to the rear window heater drawing large current.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

x-rayted wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:42 pm The software update to cure this problem was released in October. I had it done on my car and my problem solved.
Did you update the software by yourself or it should be done by official dealer only? I got a used (Volvo Selekt) XC40 D4 AWD a month ago and my Start/Stop won't work. I've been driving it 3 months ago and the Start/Stop worked only once, after I drove it for some 20 miles.
The repair service guy claims that my battery is full enough to start the engine, but not full enough to activate the Start/Stop, although the car is only 2 years old. I thought that driving 2.000 km in a month will repair the battery, but sadly it doesn't activate. Should I wait for some software update?
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Deleted User 3129

Post by Deleted User 3129 »

ropetko wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:55 pm
x-rayted wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:42 pm The software update to cure this problem was released in October. I had it done on my car and my problem solved.
Did you update the software by yourself or it should be done by official dealer only? I got a used (Volvo Selekt) XC40 D4 AWD a month ago and my Start/Stop won't work. I've been driving it 3 months ago and the Start/Stop worked only once, after I drove it for some 20 miles.
The repair service guy claims that my battery is full enough to start the engine, but not full enough to activate the Start/Stop, although the car is only 2 years old. I thought that driving 2.000 km in a month will repair the battery, but sadly it doesn't activate. Should I wait for some software update?
See previous posts in this thread. The car has two batteries. You need longer drives, that's all.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Grass wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:30 pm
See previous posts in this thread. The car has two batteries. You need longer drives, that's all.
Thanks, but this is not the answer. I know there are two batteries, plus most of my rides in the past month were over an hour long. The Start/Stop never showed up, the A symbol at the gauge was always crossed :(
I wanted to know if the system update can be done by myself or should I visit the service. Volvo service (whom I purchased the vehicle from) keeps saying my battery level is too low to activate the Start/Stop, because that’s apparently the first system to disable in such cases. Hard to believe because the car is only 2.5 years old with 40k miles.
Deleted User 3129

Post by Deleted User 3129 »

As I understand it, at least here in England, the system software update is carried out by Volvo.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Deleted User 3129 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:20 pm As I understand it, at least here in England, the system software update is carried out by Volvo.
Thanks, that’s probably the case in most countries. Will see if anything changes on my next visit to Volvo service.
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

Surely volvo authorized dealer/service has done the upgrade.

Excuse me if I caused any inconveniance . There are 2 type of problems with stop start . 1) auto stop start 's not working I didnt experince it and I dont know any solution 2) Stop starts works but you have to press brake pedal as long it shuts the engine. Whenever you release your foot from the brake pedal, stop start deactivates and engine starts. This is a software glitch. The cars produced or software upgraded between May-October 2020 suffered this problem and with the october new software this problem cured.
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

Thanks from the USA owner for all the information. I will just have to wait for a longer trip to see if stop/start re-engages. Looks to me as if the system with the small battery may not be the best design. Too many folks having the same problem.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

dnyoung607 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:18 pm Thanks from the USA owner for all the information. I will just have to wait for a longer trip to see if stop/start re-engages. Looks to me as if the system with the small battery may not be the best design. Too many folks having the same problem.
They told me the small battery actually gives power to some systems while the engine is stopped and that it is a “big” (normal?) battery responsible for the ignition upon Start/Stop re-engagement. Once the main battery power drops under certain level, the Start/Stop is one of the first system that is being disabled for safety reasons. Looks like the small battery in my car is useless now :(